I forgot a sailing term... help, please!

Elena

What's the guy called that sits in the crow's nest/ fighting top and looks out, shouting they are seeing the land/ another ship?

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

Thank you very much :D So, lookout is the word... (Sometimes it is frustrating to write in a foreign language!)

Edited by Elena

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

The term Crow's Nest didn't actually appear until the early 19th century, so that's the wrong term for the GAoP if you're going for accuracy. (Someone once told me it's proper name for our time period, but - going along with the title of this thread - I have long since forgotten it.)

Edit - ya' gotta love Google. They're called top castles, preceeded by the name of the mast they're on. So if it's atop the Main Mast, it's the Main Top Castle. If the Mizzen Mast, the MIzzen Top Castle. This actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I know fighting top is more accurate, this was why I put that term too. But if you say Top Castle... I hadn;t heard about this until now. Time to learn something new! <3

And I was looking for LOOKOUT - glad that somebody told me.

Edited by Elena

BTMnewad.jpg

Thank you very much.

BTMnewad.jpg