Deltaville museum is on fire!

Dutchman

ahoy all,

i'm sad to report that the Deltaville Maritime museum is currently on fire and it looks like the main building and pavilion will be a total loss. This is the home of the Explorer and where we base a lot of our activities out of. They have drained both town pools and are pulling water from the creek to work the pumps. will keep you posted....... we just can't catch a break this summer!

Dutch -

Tough news

Any updates?

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Cascabel -

Virginia... on the Chesapeake, north of Hampton, east of Richmond. I saw some of the news photos of the fire and aftermath, what a mess.

Jas. Hook

Edited by Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

thanks for your concerns and well wishes. still no official word about what happened but its pretty well pieced together. the good news is its most likely accidental. there were about a dozen small deadrises being built of juniper under the pavilion. once it started there was no stopping it and it spread to the main building before the trucks got there. there were also half adozen historic boats on the hard that were lost as well.

Damn! No words can be found to properly express the feelings.

Concrete and steel would be my recommendation for replacement of the facilities. Wooden structures are just not sound enough to trust with those kinds of relics and exhibits.

Best wishes and let me know if I can do a6ything to help.

Bo