Colonial leaders and houses?

I am wondering one historical thing about Nicolas Lawes and many other Jamaican governors in golden age of piracy. I wonder would governors between 1692-1764 had any own residence buildings? There is no real reason to know but I want to. Looking in many web pages it was that "Kings house" which means governor’s mansion was built in Port Royal by 1690 but it was apparently destroyed in a earthquake in 1692. Then when the government was moved to "Spanish Town" (which is near Kingston) but next King's House for governor was built as late as 1764. So historically I wonder where would those governors live... in unofficial redideces ,in local Inns, in their sugar mill mansions if they had any? Well I read that governors on 1660s had no own residence perhaps the things was. Is anyone here wiser?

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

Many noble men owned not only a house, but an estate in the colonies.

And Sir Nicholas Lawes was known in history to be a plantation owner, he introduced coffee to Jamaica. (Well, his wives had the land as dowry - he had 5 wives, all of them widows of other men when he married them, but each of them died soon after, probably in childbirth, as this was the most often cause of death for women). He also set up the first printing press in Jamaica.

So, the governor had an official residence (which was also his office) in the city and a mansion with the associated plantation estate in the outskirts of the city or at some distance. This was how most governors of most islands were doing. When a governor was recalled to the capital and another was sent, usually the residence in the city was sold from the one to the other. The plantation might be sold, rented or kept, it depends from a person to another.

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

Ofcourse you are totally rigth and I was not. Thanks for the info. The main thing is that I did not know what is difference there is between mansion/estate and and recidence.

I was just reading this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_House,_Jamaica and noticed that the 1690 house was destroyed in earquage.

Thanks

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif