A rear admiral's tasks

Elena

Yes, I am crying for help here always when google search doesn't give the expected results. Somebody here always happens to know...

Which were the tasks of a rear admiral (chef d'escadre on the French side) in the Age of Sail? Not only in battle, but more the mundane, daily tasks which pin him to his office chair...

Thank you in advance!

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

• 2 months later...

I still need the answers... and honestly I don;t know where to look!

What I found up to now is that a fleet was usually commanded by a flag officer such as a vice admiral or a rear admiral; squadrons were commanded by rear admiral and sometimes by commodores, depending on their importance and stability. And this is my Rear-Admiral of the West Indies...

- It's him who sends the individual ships on their cruises and missions, and expects the profit from them, while he spends his time in the office.

- He presides a court martial

- He organizes exams for lieutenants and sailing masters

- Foxe said he gives letters of marque to privateers

What more?

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-