17th Century Sailors Shirt

Jen Dobyns bought this up earlier this year and it actually generated quite the discussion in the sewing room beginning with this post.

At the time, I thought the shirt was missing an item, so I added it (although you have to look closely):

sailors_garb_izod.jpg

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I must say, this looks to me more like what a sailor would wear than all that foppish stuff people keep dredging images of up. That other stuff reminds me of the kind of romanticized image an artist might choose to portray where this looks like what a working man who had to deal with the day-to-day life of sailoring would actually wear.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Hmm rarely I see that patched clothing in movies (but sometimes yes) or well in reenactor use in photos, or in pirate book illustration. Sailors clothing should not be ragged like sometimes I see but more like patched.... but in any case the hard life etc should be visible in clothing as well.

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

Work clothing as opposed to walking out dress =o)

Many years ago I served with HM Forces and during training we had walking out dress restrictions which cvaried depending how good we were on base and would be 'toughened' up if anyone was naughty when visiting town.

I tend not to go 'on the town' in my work cloths even today ... mind you my work clothes ent normal.

IMG_0001.JPG

DSCF1038.JPG

Edited by Grymm

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.