Basil Ringrose

Mission

Does anyone have any information on him outside of what can be found on wikisource? Various scurrilous pirate websites who do not bother to list their sources list him as a surgeon, but I can't seem to find any proof of this. Nor can I find where he said much about that topic, even in his book.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Does anyone have any information on him outside of what can be found on wikisource? Various scurrilous pirate websites who do not bother to list their sources list him as a surgeon, but I can't seem to find any proof of this. Nor can I find where he said much about that topic, even in his book.

Got some information, but it doesn't say anything about him being a surgeon.

Basil Ringrose was born in London and baptized on January 28, 1653, at the church of St. Martin-in-the-Fields. His parents, Richard and Mary Ringrose, lived on a street close to the present site of Charing Cross Station. There is no record of him attending any of the major London schools, but we know that he acquired a working knowledge of French and Latin, and during his travels in South America he had no problem in learning Spanish and was able to act as interpreter for the buccaneers. There is no information in his later writings about his upbringing or early life; nor is there any explanation of how he came to be in Central America with the buccaneers He seems to have been liked and respected by his shipmates, although on one occasion he fought a duel with the ship's quartermaster.

- - Cordingly, Pirates: Terror on the High Seas From the Caribbean to the South China Sea, p. 68.

Thanks, Daniel. I wonder where the idea that he was a surgeon came from? Apparently his book shows no real interest in surgical matters either.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG