Courtly costume

Silk, embroidery in coloured and gold and silver thread, spangles, sequins... essentially think 'Assembled by a deranged magpie' bling ent a new thing =o)

2009BW5482_va_in_russia_custom_290x435_06160925.jpgGreen_wool_suit_with_embroidert_coat.jpg

%7B1E1884AC-F6B9-4E0A-A102-47B2903DCA42%7D_vvKRI0206-b.jpg

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

White face, rouged rosebud lips, beauty patches, large 'horned' full bottom wigs, huge furry muff(!), long ribboned walking stick, a fancy snuff box and red heeled shoes, for French court at least.

If you decide to go looking for period cosmetic supplies, I can recommend Ageless Artifice. Katie Cannon is now making a face whitening compound out of zinc instead of lead, which appears to work well on those I have seen wearing it (including Katie herself). And a rouge pommade as well as the liquid, for those afraid of spilling. She has done tons of research and even historic sites are carrying her products now. How cool is that? http://www.agelessartifice.com/ She no longer does web based sales, but you can contact her about what you need.

Jen

White face, rouged rosebud lips, beauty patches, large 'horned' full bottom wigs, huge furry muff(!), long ribboned walking stick, a fancy snuff box and red heeled shoes, for French court at least.

long ribboned walking stick??? Can you explain Grymm?

39" (ish) malaca cane with an ivory, silver or other decorative knob with a ribbon loop for hanging it off your wrist and decked with a ribbon rosette or two.

This wee beauty is 47"

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9588114

Some ivory pique work knobs, and note the hole to take the ribbon on no.2 and the remains of a rosette/knot of ribbons on no.1

cane35.pngcane37.png

This is a replica I made of a 47 inch long walking cane. It has leather thong though in the picture due to me not having any ribbon at the time I photographed it:

270846_412520245459405_25905425_n.jpg

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

• 1 month later...

Nice. I, however, am not such a refined personage. Just a rough old sailor. T'would be pretentious of me to wear such a fine garment.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Captain Jim as a fop! Haa ha ha! (Key West... perfect place for it, you know.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Very spiffy! The shirt would be made of the finest possible linen you can find. Handkerchief or better. That way those enormous sleeves will actually fit inside the arms of the coat. Thicker linen would create too much bulk. And OMG, that wig! That is where those curl papers would come in handy *G*

would this be appropriate? and what would the shirt be made of?

423px-Medinacelli.jpg

• 1 month later...

Right nice topic!

All the above is what I'm shooting for (but getting there VERY slowly). The walking stick is one of several things I am hoping to get done. I've a few old pool sticks that I am looking to convert into period walking sticks. Though it's the top "knob" that I haven't gotten far with yet. Anyone know of where to obtain toppers the width of or can go onto the end of a pool stick?

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Lady B -

Might try a home renovators supply. Thay may have glass or porcelain knobs that may suit as a quick solution.

Knife builders supply may be a source for a white micarta block that could be shaped to resemble an ivory topper.

Scrimshaw supply might have some material that might resemble whale or walrus ivory.

Jas. Hook ;)

Edited by Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

As far as walking Sticks go, I'm using a broken oar with the edges of the blades and the shaft gone, I'll paint it black and add bits of decorative metal, with a knob I won't be able to do so much because the top is rectangular. I've never considered ribbons before, but I think I might wanna add them now. Lady Barbossa's working on my coat, but I am doing the 1660s-1680s so I needed an English Restoration Era Justaucorps.

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.

Right nice topic!

All the above is what I'm shooting for (but getting there VERY slowly). The walking stick is one of several things I am hoping to get done. I've a few old pool sticks that I am looking to convert into period walking sticks. Though it's the top "knob" that I haven't gotten far with yet. Anyone know of where to obtain toppers the width of or can go onto the end of a pool stick?

~Lady B

try Home Depo or a similer store, they have ends for dowel rods for towels that would do nicely. you may have to buy onew to get the right length.

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.