twenty beautiful cuts, being, the representation of each pirate

This is Tread about one thing that has intrigued me for a long time.

THIS IS RATHER SILLY TREAD BUT I CANNOT HELP MYSELF

This is tread about the General History’s 1725 woodcuts and 1732 pirate book.

Almost all remember famous England and Rackham pictures from 1725 edition….

I have found this long time ago http://www.piratebrethren.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=232

It seems that in that Foxe’s post of 1732 pictures cannot be found anymore but no worry I have saved copies long time ago. ( I hope Foxe don’t mind :rolleyes: ) So here are pictures from Foxe's posts I saved them when they were still there and now posted in Rogues Gallery https://pyracy.com/in...ates-from-ghop/ ( oh problem in new computer commucation is that it don't leave much information behind unlike stone or old papers.... **** you tecnology.... well that is problem of future historians)

And there are nice pictures but they all seem to be originally from 1725 edition of Ghop.

but

I have seen high quality photo of front piece if 1725 edition and now arguments:

There is same woodcut in 1725 edition that it is in 1732 book (I mean that one with warship and hanged pirates (this http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/16/1642/TWHGD00Z/posters/history-and-lives-of-all-the-most-notorious-pirates-and-their-crews-frontispiece-london-1725.jpg ). Title page of 1725 book says that book is “adorn’d with twenty beautiful cuts, being, the representation of each pirate” and we know that at least front piece, Rackham and England cuts are in both the 1725 and the 1732 books. It seems that all cuts in 1732 book are originally from 1725 book since in total there is 20 cuts in 1732 book and we know that at least 3 of those images in 1732 book are also in 1725 book and we know that doth had 20 pirate images in them. So it seems likely that both books have same 20 pictures only reprinted versions on the later one.

So point is that it seems that those pictures on 1732 book are originally from 1725 book...

I haven’t seen 1725 edition myself so educate me if needed!

To compare here is page of 1725 book and 1732 book

England in 1725 in Ghop

14.jpg

England in 1732 book

gallery_20630_550_189672.jpg

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

The 1725 book which those pictures come from is the first edition of The History and Lives of all the Most Notorious Pirates and Their Crews. It was the fourth edition (1732) that I originally posted those pictures from because I didn't, at that time, have a copy of the first edition.

It's not the same book as Johnson's General History of the Robberies and Murders of the Most Notorious Pyrates, which was in its third edition by 1725, and did not contain those pictures. Most of the text in both books is the same, but there are a few differences.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

The 1725 book which those pictures come from is the first edition of The History and Lives of all the Most Notorious Pirates and Their Crews. It was the fourth edition (1732) that I originally posted those pictures from because I didn't, at that time, have a copy of the first edition.

It's not the same book as Johnson's General History of the Robberies and Murders of the Most Notorious Pyrates, which was in its third edition by 1725, and did not contain those pictures. Most of the text in both books is the same, but there are a few differences.

But those pics that I have posted are originally from year 1725 or?

And (this is not looking good for David R while he ignores Ghop's (or other pirate book's) pictures now evidence againt his tricorn theory is growing :rolleyes: ) we have 2 pics of backwards tricorns in gaop. The 1725 picture of Martel and that admiral from 1703.

My wish to allI don't want to be dictator but please this is not place to talk about that are this pictures accurate

John Paul Jones

Yes, they are originally from 1725

My wish to all I don't want to be dictator but please this is not place to talk about that are this pictures accurate ;)

There has never been a tradition here of the original poster having any control over how the thread develops, sorry.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Yes, they are originally from 1725

Ok I have been wondering that for a long time.

There has never been a tradition here of the original poster having any control over how the thread develops, sorry

ok I understand. sorry

John Paul Jones

• 4 months later...

gallery_20630_550_104961.jpg

gallery_20630_550_79824.jpg

One thing that I have always thought as inaccuracy in these circa 1725 pictures are the large broadswords(like Philips) and scimitar(Worley) style swords. I have thought that illustrators might have seen sailors and naval officers alike and based their pirate pictures on them. However not often officers or sailors had their all weapons with them on land (well officer might have fines words but that was it.. I think that no sailor with boarding axe was seen in ports). Thus I have thought that picture maker had improvised with the weapons more than with other details. However this kind of weapons are similar that those in this more reliable picture about French land officer in 1678. I am not saying that weapons like in those pictures were actually used by pirates I am just saying that that kind of weapons existed in the period.

Gaya_1678-210.jpg

(Picture from http://www.benersonlittle.com/bio.htm)

John Paul Jones