Teachers and Their Hobbies

Duchess

Allow me to set the stage by saying, I've been working my way through the Aubrey/Maturin series again.

This morning I was grading papers from my students regarding a project they'd done last week. A part of the project called for measuring the length of a ~6meter, somewhat flexible, PVC pipe with a long cloth tape measure. As scientists in training they were instructed to come up with an estimate of the error in their measurement and propagate that error through to future calculations.

One particular group had decided that 0.0001meters was a reasonable error. To which I replied "Far too small! A tenth of a milimeter, forsooth!"

I suspect they already think me insane. I have no idea how this will be received, though I did opt to not cross it out...

Bertie Wooster uses 'forsooth' a lot in the Jeeves books. Of course, P.G. Wodehouse uses a lot of neat words and phrases that have long since fallen out of the standard lexicon. (Yet another reason I love to read his stuff.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

With so many young folks today thinking that the story of the Titanic was just a movie and only now realizing it was in fact a real event perhaps the introduction of tidbits of the past may start their interest in history. :mellow:

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney