Info on this spyglass

Pyrate Joe

Forgive me if the image doesn't show. Not only am I new here, but new to forums in general.

553283 327130137353985 100001710037903 884325 5434725 N

I wondered if anyone here might be able to tell me about how old this spyglass might be or any other general information about it. I know it's a snowball's chance in hell it might date to anywhere near GAoP but I none the less hope someone might know something about it, or know someone who would.

I'm pretty sure the thing's brass. Smells a bit like pennies to me now and again.

Fully extended is about 107cm or 42in, what have you, and shortened up about 32cm, or 12.5in.

There's not a maker's mark of any sort on it, inside or out, that I can find with me own two eyes. Nor any marks from anyone who's owned it.

Once again, thank you all.

Also any guide on how posting pictures works here would be lovely.

Edited by Pyrate Joe

It's been my understanding from past discussions that period spyglasses were often made of lacquered materials and not brass or copper. Without seeing how it's made up close, that's all I have to offer. Wish I knew what to tell you to look for.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I know that in Gaop some spyglasses that were made out leather/ wood. One was from 1660s. I need to find a pic of it. Some spyglasses were also made from paper. sounds odd but there was one from 1690s. I try to find pics.

That spyglass did not seem to be very old. I would say mid1800s. but I am not real expert so...

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

Paper? That must be quite the sight.

Ah hah!

I think you are likely correct, Swashbuckler. I was just now able to find one on eBay that asserts about the same time frame.

Thanks for your input.

Paper one is in this book ( in book there is some errors but it is quite good (there is no perfect books)

see preview. It is quite early in it

http://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Eyewitness-Books-Richard-Platt/dp/0756607132

This is telescope from 1661

F8641-001.jpg

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif