Paintings of the Golden Age

I've recently discovered some amazing paintings of the Golden Age and earlier and thought I should share them here...

First...

ca. 1688 - Dutch Whalers off a Rocky Coast by Abraham Storck

Abraham-Storck-Dutch-Whalers-Off-a-Rocky-Coast.jpg

Second...

1653 - The Battle of Livorno (De zeeslag bij Livorno 14 maart) by Reinier Nooms

battle-of-livorno-reinier-nooms-de-zeeslag-bij-livorno.jpg

1660 - The Battle of Livorno (Leghorn) by Johannes Lingelbach

the-battle-of-livorno-leghorn-by-johannes-lingelbach-1660.jpg

Slag bij Livorno (Battle of Leghorn) by Willem Van de Velde the Elder

slag-bij-livorno-battle-of-leghorn-willem-van-de-velde-the-elder.jpg

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Wow, thanks for posting these, William! This is most useful for a project I am working on for Easter (of all things.)

Check this one (The Loss of the Royal George by John Christian Schetky, c 1840) out: (Yeah, not period, but it's a shipwreck!)

The-Loss-of-the-Royal-George-by-John-Christian-Schetky.jpg

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Wow, thanks for posting these, William! This is most useful for a project I am working on for Easter (of all things.)

Check this one (The Loss of the Royal George by John Christian Schetky, c 1840) out: (Yeah, not period, but it's a shipwreck!)

The-Loss-of-the-Royal-George-by-John-Christian-Schetky.jpg

You can tell that it rolled over to Starboard all at once, as it's laying upon another boat. Great painting!

from 1703

collage_lb_image_page37_60_1.png

It looks like a plethora of monmouth caps and tricorns.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Hey Ivan, whose the artist of that painting?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Hey Ivan, whose the artist of that painting?

May I help

see wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia....of_Vigo_Bay.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludolf_Bakhuizen

I have this in other tread but

Port from same artist

The_Y_at_Amsterdam_viewed_from_Mussel_Pier.jpg

There is interesting mixture of hats: monmouths and trumps, Peter the Greats and round hats and some others as well.... Painter was certainly well informed and his pictures are accurate...

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

Thankyou :)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Look at the detail on that last painting:

Detail_from_The_Y_at_Amsterdam_viewed_from_Mussel_Pier_by_Ludolf_Bakhuizen_1673.jpg

There's a cowboy hat on the ground. :lol::P

What is the seated guy holding? It almost looks like a cigarette. (To bring up that hoary old topic...)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Detail_from_The_Y_at_Amsterdam_viewed_from_Mussel_Pier_by_Ludolf_Bakhuizen_1673.jpg

There's a cowboy hat on the ground. :lol::P

What is the seated guy holding? It almost looks like a cigarette. (To bring up that hoary old topic...)

Hmmm I have heard somewhere (well history magasine) that cowboys in reality (in late 19th century) did not even use "cowboy hat" much. Bowler was much more popular style.... Anyway That hat in pic. It is round hat typical to the age and since brim is modest it seems to be sailor's hat....

Mission you have yet to find who pub member looks like that mustachioed fellow with dark suit :P

I have one theory of that "cigarette" it can bee chalk and with it the man is marking barrels and boxes and the sailor is having break and that is why he is sitting.

also it can be just a end of the clay pipe and the other end is in his hand....

Is somebody there having a picnic? see the food basket there ;)

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

Mission you have yet to find who pub member looks like that mustachioed fellow with dark suit :P

There is a guy at PiP (Pirates in Paradise in Key West, FL) named Aldo Barrios who could totally pull that one off. He'd have to apply a fake mustacio, though.

384143_2810246294744_1216323787_3252599_805037231_n.jpg

Mission_banner5.JPG