Press gang

Hi. Has anyone stories about navy Press gang from gaop or even Nelsons' time? I am just curious.... I have found a short one from 1740s I will post it when I have energy and if anyone is interested..... That quote is from "Ship: 5000 Years of Maritime History" written by Brian Lavery...

Being visual person I post a picture and if anyone has found more they are free to post them here ^_^

This is from latter part of the 18th century

caricature-1780-press_gang-2.jpg

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

So

“I was when crossing Towerhill accosted by a person in seaman’s dress who tabbed me on the shoulder enquiring in a familiar and technical strain “what ship”. I assumed an air of gravity and surprise and told him I presumed he was under some mistake as I was not connected with shipping. The fellow … gave a whistle and I a moment I was in the hands of six or eight ruffians who immediately dreaded and soon found to be press gang.”

WILLIAM HAY 1744

John Paul Jones

Edward Barlow was pressed out of a merchant ship, although I don't have the exact quote. It would have been in the 1670s or 80s. That's the only one I can recall coming across, but I don't read period stuff from after 1730 for the most part.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Edward Barlow was pressed out of a merchant ship, although I don't have the exact quote. It would have been in the 1670s or 80s. That's the only one I can recall coming across, but I don't read period stuff from after 1730 for the most part.

Interesting.....

John Paul Jones

• 1 year later...

I wonder what this means (from this source http://www.royalnavalmuseum.org/info_sheet_impressment.htm)

"Impressment was a long standing authority from the state for the recruitment to military service, either on land or on sea. The impress service, or more commonly called the press gang, was employed to seize men for employment at sea in British seaports. Impressment was used as far back as Elizabethan times when this form of recruitment became a statute and later the Vagrancy Act 1597, men of disrepute (usually homeless vagrants) could be drafted into service. In 1703, an act limited the seizure of men for naval service to those under 18, although apprentices were exempt from being pressed. In 1740, the age was raised to 55. Officially, no foreigner could be impressed although they were able to volunteer. If, however, the foreigner married a British woman, or had worked on a British merchant ship for two years, their protection was lost and they could be impressed. However, these limits were often ignored and the impressment of Americans into the British navy became one of the causes of the American War of 1812."

So between 1703-1740 could only people under 18 years of age to be pressed in the naval service? Does that apply to sailor as well as the homeless people?If so this sounds oddly selective thinking that the country was at war in 1701-1714 and 1718-20.

But here http://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/transformingsociety/private-lives/yourcountry/overview/pressgangs-/ is given impression that the acts in those year all encouraged impressement

"

Naval impressment

The Crown claimed a permanent right to seize men of seafaring experience for the Royal Navy, and the practice was at various times given parliamentary authority. Impressment was vigorously enforced during the naval wars of the 18th century by Acts passed in 1703, 1705, 1740 and 1779.

The men pressed into service were usually sailors in the merchant fleets, but might just as often be ordinary apprentices and labourers. During the wars with France from 1793 to 1815, an impress service operated in British coastal towns.

Although further laws passed in 1835 upheld the power to impress, in practice it fell into disuse after 1815. "

So did the acts that were in gaop 1703 and 1705 encouraged or restricted naval impressement?

John Paul Jones

I wonder what this means (from this source http://www.royalnavalmuseum.org/info_sheet_impressment.htm)

"Impressment was a long standing authority from the state for the recruitment to military service, either on land or on sea. The impress service, or more commonly called the press gang, was employed to seize men for employment at sea in British seaports. Impressment was used as far back as Elizabethan times when this form of recruitment became a statute and later the Vagrancy Act 1597, men of disrepute (usually homeless vagrants) could be drafted into service. In 1703, an act limited the seizure of men for naval service to those under 18, although apprentices were exempt from being pressed. In 1740, the age was raised to 55. Officially, no foreigner could be impressed although they were able to volunteer. If, however, the foreigner married a British woman, or had worked on a British merchant ship for two years, their protection was lost and they could be impressed. However, these limits were often ignored and the impressment of Americans into the British navy became one of the causes of the American War of 1812."

So between 1703-1740 could only people under 18 years of age to be pressed in the naval service? Does that apply to sailor as well as the homeless people?If so this sounds oddly selective thinking that the country was at war in 1701-1714 and 1718-20.

But here http://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/transformingsociety/private-lives/yourcountry/overview/pressgangs-/ is given impression that the acts in those year all encouraged impressement

"

Naval impressment

The Crown claimed a permanent right to seize men of seafaring experience for the Royal Navy, and the practice was at various times given parliamentary authority. Impressment was vigorously enforced during the naval wars of the 18th century by Acts passed in 1703, 1705, 1740 and 1779.

The men pressed into service were usually sailors in the merchant fleets, but might just as often be ordinary apprentices and labourers. During the wars with France from 1793 to 1815, an impress service operated in British coastal towns.

Although further laws passed in 1835 upheld the power to impress, in practice it fell into disuse after 1815. "

So did the acts that were in gaop 1703 and 1705 encouraged or restricted naval impressement?

WEll if I trust Wiki it encouraged the practise:

"The first Act of Parliament legalising this practice was passed in the reign of Queen Elizabeth in 1563 and was known as "an act touching political considerations for the maintenance of the navy". It was renewed many times until 1631. In the Vagabonds Act 1597, several lists of persons were subject to impressment for service in the fleet.

The Recruiting Act 1703 was an act passed "for the increase of seamen and better encouragement of navigation, and the protection of the Coal Trade". This act gave parish authorities the power to apprentice boys to the sea, and reaffirmed rogues and vagabonds were subject to be pressed into the navy. In 1740, impressment was limited to men between 18 and 45, and it also exempted foreigners."

I still wonder were people over 18 year of age impressed in 1703-40? Could someone who has English as his first language tell me how they understood those sentences?

John Paul Jones

a Gaop era impressement occasion:

From The history of the pyrates: containing the lives of Captain Mission. Captain Bowen. Captain Kidd ... and their several crews

in pages 376 and 377 (OF Capt. Nathaniel North, And his Crew.)

"While North was ashore after a Cruize, he was press'd on board the Mary Man of War: He made a Cruize in her to the Spanish Coast, and return'd to Jamaica; but hearing the Mary was soon to go to England, he, and three more, resolv'd to swim ashore from the Keys, where the Men of War lie, but he was taken as he was going off the Head, and whipp'd; he, however, found Means to make his Escape, before the Ship left the Island, and went on board the Neptune Sloop, a Privateer, commanded by Captain Lycence, then Lieutenant of the Reserve, who, while the Ship was in the Carpenter's Hands, got a Commission of the Governor to take a Cruize. Captain Moses, who commanded the Reserve, went on board their Sloop, under the Command of his Lieutenant, for Diversion only: They cruized off Hispaniola, where they met with a French Letter of Mart Merchant Man, of 18 Guns, and 118 Men, who had the Day before engaged the Swan Man of War, and shook her off.

--

North went again a Privateering, Captain Moses his Ship being not fitted, he would take a second Cruize, and North with him. Some Time after their Return, Captain Moses being a cruizing in the Reserve, North, who was ashore, was press'd on board the Assistance Man of War; and on the Reserve's coming, being recommended by Captain Moses to his own Captain, he was handsomely treated, and made one of the Barge's Crew: He was very easy till the Assistance was order'd to England, and then, as he was apprehensive of going into a cold Climate, he took his Leave of the Man of War, and said nothing. He then went on board a Privateer again, and made several Prizes, two of which were English Bottoms, and sued for by former Owners; North thinking it hard to venture his Life, and have Part of his Prize Money taken away, and the Press being hot in Jamaica, he resolved to sail no more with the English; but went to Curasoe into the Dutch Service, and sail'd with a Spanish Trader to the Coast of New Spain several Voyages. In the last he made"

And wiki says about the same man giving us a summary of the happenings "In 1689, at the age of seventeen North was a crewman aboard an English privateer attacking French shipping during the War of the Grand Alliance. He was impressed into the Royal Navy but made his way to Jamaica. There he again met British press gangs, but escaped by jumping overboard and swimming to shore."

Also many different modern sources says that When Captain Kidd was sailing for his commission in 1696 he didn't salute a man of war. And so part of his crew was impressed in the navy.

John Paul Jones

a Gaop era impressement occasion:

From The history of the pyrates: containing the lives of Captain Mission. Captain Bowen. Captain Kidd ... and their several crews

in pages 376 and 377 (OF Capt. Nathaniel North, And his Crew.)

"While North was ashore after a Cruize, he was press'd on board the Mary Man of War: He made a Cruize in her to the Spanish Coast, and return'd to Jamaica; but hearing the Mary was soon to go to England, he, and three more, resolv'd to swim ashore from the Keys, where the Men of War lie, but he was taken as he was going off the Head, and whipp'd; he, however, found Means to make his Escape, before the Ship left the Island, and went on board the Neptune Sloop, a Privateer, commanded by Captain Lycence, then Lieutenant of the Reserve, who, while the Ship was in the Carpenter's Hands, got a Commission of the Governor to take a Cruize. Captain Moses, who commanded the Reserve, went on board their Sloop, under the Command of his Lieutenant, for Diversion only: They cruized off Hispaniola, where they met with a French Letter of Mart Merchant Man, of 18 Guns, and 118 Men, who had the Day before engaged the Swan Man of War, and shook her off.

--

North went again a Privateering, Captain Moses his Ship being not fitted, he would take a second Cruize, and North with him. Some Time after their Return, Captain Moses being a cruizing in the Reserve, North, who was ashore, was press'd on board the Assistance Man of War; and on the Reserve's coming, being recommended by Captain Moses to his own Captain, he was handsomely treated, and made one of the Barge's Crew: He was very easy till the Assistance was order'd to England, and then, as he was apprehensive of going into a cold Climate, he took his Leave of the Man of War, and said nothing. He then went on board a Privateer again, and made several Prizes, two of which were English Bottoms, and sued for by former Owners; North thinking it hard to venture his Life, and have Part of his Prize Money taken away, and the Press being hot in Jamaica, he resolved to sail no more with the English; but went to Curasoe into the Dutch Service, and sail'd with a Spanish Trader to the Coast of New Spain several Voyages. In the last he made"

And wiki says about the same man giving us a summary of the happenings "In 1689, at the age of seventeen North was a crewman aboard an English privateer attacking French shipping during the War of the Grand Alliance. He was impressed into the Royal Navy but made his way to Jamaica. There he again met British press gangs, but escaped by jumping overboard and swimming to shore."

Also many different modern sources says that When Captain Kidd was sailing for his commission in 1696 he didn't salute a man of war. And so part of his crew was impressed in the navy.

So bad that the editing can be used so little here and I need to do this in multiple posts.

What impression I got about 1703 act is that it confirmed press gang and gave navy a legal permission to impress people. as Wiki says " It provided for the forcible enlistment of able bodied men in the army and navy who did not have visible means of subsistence.". Looking for other sources like books it is clear than navy was actively pressing men in the service in this time. For example Voltaire reported a Thames waterman who was pressed in the service in 1720s. But I wonder what it was about people under 18 years of age and press-ganging. In any case even if the pressing of men older than 18 years of age was forbidden it is clear that the law was often ignored.

I looked for example preview of this book http://books.google.fi/books?id=JuGwwDGpTyoC&dq=voltaire+waterman+impressment&hl=fi&source=gbs_navlinks_s

I would like to leave this matter alone but I am interested what the h*** does the 1703 recruitment act mean. Well in any case press gangs of the navy were well active in this time and it seems that people of all ages were pressed. At least when there was a real need.

John Paul Jones

The Old Bailey Ordinary tells about Robert Rochead's adventures with the Impress Service. It's not totally clear when it happened, but probably in the mid-to-late 1730s, judging by the guy's age.

Rochead, a Scotsman born in 1716, was mate of a collier when he was impressed. "[T]here being an Order from the Admiralty, that no Person belonging to any Ship coming on Shore without their Protection, should be exempt from being press'd; and as he was found on Shore without his Protection, he was accordingly Impress'd, and carried on board his Majesty's Ship the Cumberland . . . as a Foremast Man." This was probably in or near London, as he had just been in London on the collier, and the Cumberland then went "down to the Nore," which is at the mouth of the Thames. Rochead was later assigned to lead a press gang himself, aboard a tender which conscripted men into service at London's Wapping Stairs and then in Scotland. Rochead turned this into a thriving business, rounding up men to be pressed and then extorting money from them in exchange for letting them go. (You get one guess about how much he cared whether they were over 18 or not). He was caught and sentenced to the Marshalsea prison for five months, which was only the beginning of his long and colorful criminal career.

Another story, this from the heart of the Golden Age. Thirteen men were tried for murder for drowning two men of the Impress Service, but all were acquitted.

"It appeared, that Burnifold having a Warrant to Impress Men for His Majesty's Service, and that both the Deceaseds and their Gang went on Board the White-Hart Barge belonging to Abingdon, about one in the night, and asked for the Master of the Barge: and then he asked them if they were Priviledged, but they made no Answer; then he had two of them to go into his Boat, which they refused; when on a sudden came Men from behind the Barge, and cried, Knock them down, and beat them with Staves into the Boat, and made several holes in it, whereby it sunk and they were drowned, and a Fisherman's Boy took up the rest of the Men that were floating upon the Water. The Prisoners alledged, That when they came aboard, they did hold Pistols at them, and cut at them with Swords, and never gave them the word that they were Press master s, and did think that they did come with an intent to rob the Barge, they having a great charge of Money in it; So after all, the Jury found them not Guilty , but ordered to give Sureties for their Behaviour for a Twelvemonth "

To which I say, "Huh?" You go on board a boat of rough sailors who outnumber you, point guns and try to beat them into submission, but don't say you're with the Impress Service??? And none of the sailors gets shot? Not bloody likely. The fact that the jury pretended to swallow this cock-and-bull story says something about what the ordinary people of London felt about the press gangs.

Another story appears of Richard Eades, who like Rochead was both victim and participant of the Impress in the 1730s. Joining Captain Rook's press gang in the Channel on the HMS Sunderland, he went to London after his ship was paid off, and there was caught by press gangs five times, but always managed to get away.

Here is another very interesting and tragic case: The Crown v. John Neal, where three men were tried for murdering Thomas Nogan, a pressed man who was trying to escape.

The setting: HMS Phenix, a hospital ship* docked under the Tower of London, September 27th, 1759. There were about 20 pressed men aboard the Phenix. The pressed men were kept separate from the other men, twelve to fourteen in the sick ward, and six in the hold. Thomas Nogan, a pressed man, had been brought aboard no more than three days before his death. It was common for pressed men to walk about on deck (perhaps to avoid seasickness, which is often worse below decks), and Nogan was doing just that when he somehow got over the side and into a boat, and tried to row himself to Tower Stairs. The Phenix's waterman rushed down into the press gang boat and set off to chase after Nogan.

Two marines, John Neal and Samuel Black, had just arrived on board the Phenix, bringing with them four imprisoned pirates (!) who were kept below. These two marines were standing on the Phenix's poop deck when Nogan tried to get away; incredibly, these stalwarts had left their loaded muskets unattended, leaning against the wheel. At the moment Nogan tried to escape, the chief officers were all ashore, and the senior officer aboard was only a cook, who was below. Various sailors shouted at the marines to shoot Nogan. Neal, new to the ship and doubtless confused, grabbed his loaded musket and shot Nogan at a range of twenty to forty yards. A steward named Squire shouted at Neal to shoot again; Neal grabbed the other musket and shot at Nogan again, but missed. The waterman grabbed Nogan's boat and managed to pull Nogan into his own boat, then carried him back aboard the Phenix to die.

Neal, together with Squire and another steward who were blamed for ordering him to fire, were convicted of manslaughter and branded.

Pritchard, the waterman, was an experience press gang member. Was it necessary to shoot Nogan when there were people waiting on Tower Stairs who could have stopped him? Pritchard said that "people are willing to give a pressed man as much quarters as they can." Pritchard also noted that his press gang never carried firearms.

* Spelled "Phenix" in the original record. Despite being a hospital ship, Phenix mounted 20 guns.

Another story, this from the heart of the Golden Age. Thirteen men were tried for murder for drowning two men of the Impress Service, but all were acquitted.

"It appeared, that Burnifold having a Warrant to Impress Men for His Majesty's Service, and that both the Deceaseds and their Gang went on Board the White-Hart Barge belonging to Abingdon, about one in the night, and asked for the Master of the Barge: and then he asked them if they were Priviledged, but they made no Answer; then he had two of them to go into his Boat, which they refused; when on a sudden came Men from behind the Barge, and cried, Knock them down, and beat them with Staves into the Boat, and made several holes in it, whereby it sunk and they were drowned, and a Fisherman's Boy took up the rest of the Men that were floating upon the Water. The Prisoners alledged, That when they came aboard, they did hold Pistols at them, and cut at them with Swords, and never gave them the word that they were Press master s, and did think that they did come with an intent to rob the Barge, they having a great charge of Money in it; So after all, the Jury found them not Guilty , but ordered to give Sureties for their Behaviour for a Twelvemonth "

To which I say, "Huh?" You go on board a boat of rough sailors who outnumber you, point guns and try to beat them into submission, but don't say you're with the Impress Service??? And none of the sailors gets shot? Not bloody likely. The fact that the jury pretended to swallow this cock-and-bull story says something about what the ordinary people of London felt about the press gangs.

That sure is interesting. I have no actual need to know but what is the date of that one? You said it was from the heart of Gaop? After 1680 and before 1730s?

John Paul Jones