Permission to come aboard?

Pyrate Joe

Greetings to all! Allow me to introduce myself as the landlocked scholar, Pyrate Joe.

For the past several years I have found myself becoming more and more taken with the subculture I've found surrounding pirates. It's such a great shinny beacon of freedom and romanticism that I cannot help but be ever moved by it! Just this last year I even had the great pleasure of attending the Portland Pirate Festival in St. Helens, Oregon. My first ever festival.

I did have a question I wished to pose to all whom may have an answer. While attending the Portland Pirate fest I did happen upon a fine piece of steel which was priced modestly enough for my meager salary. Now I am no reenactor, I simply like the garb and fun that comes along with the life. I am however, curious about the laws that are here in Oregon that pertain to me being able to carry my sword in public. I don't want to face the hangman's noose simply for walking around.

If anyone has any resources on the matter I would be forever in your debt.

A good day to you all! Cheers!

Welcome aboard, Pyrate Joe. I don't have an answer, but if you wait a short time, I'm sure some knowledgeable fellow will have the information presently.

EDIT: You roused my curiosity. I now know that I can carry a sword openly in Utah, and if I'm reading the law right, you can in Oregon. It seems that most laws frown heavily on concealed blades, but allow them openly. I would still check city ordinances in addition to state law. Sometimes they differ.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Aye... whot me matey Pegleg says be true 'nuf

Welcome Pyrate Joe

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Welcome Aboard Pyrate Joe!

Not that I have an answer to your question, but to William's point about state laws and city ordinances - in California it seems that just about anything you carry ( concealed or not ) can be called into question and left to the discretion of local law enforcement.

Really?! In California? Who would have thought...

If you like the garb and fun and you get some of each, you're pretty much a reenactor, Joe. ;)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Ahhh Thank you all for your warm welcomes! And your insights!

And Mission, I suppose in that sense you are correct. I guess what I really meant was that nothing of mine is nearly period accurate enough for me to feel like I bear the title of reenactor. Either way, tis all very much fun!