New Magazine

Hawkyns

I just found a copy of a new magazine, called 'Medieval History'. This is published by The Royal Armouries and is just amazing. Real scholarship, lots of primary source info, and good period illustrations mixed with modern photos. It's not cheap, a single copy just cost me 11 bucks, but worth every penny, to me anyway.

Of particular interest to this board is an article on Piracy in the 11-15th centuries. An excellent overview with some info I haven't seen before. There is also an exhaustive article about historic recipies for gunpowder, where they actually made powder from them and then tested them for power, with charts showing the results.

There's lots of other stuff, too. Border Reivers (a particular favourite of mine), Robin Hood, and the first advertisements I've seen for the new translation of the I33 sword manual by Jeff Forgeng of Higgin's Armoury.

This is one for the real history buffs. I'm sending in for a subscription today.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Ahoy Hawkins,

I was lucky enough to get a free copy at the Estrella War XX. I have the February Issue. Would ye be looking at the March issue?

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

Being that Yale is in New Haven, there are a huge number of foreign students here. We have a couple of news/magazine dealers that import large numbers of foreign publications. If you can't find it locally, I'd suggest contacting Tower Armouries direct about subscriptions or singe issues.

Hawkyns

;)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg