Colonial Days at Ft. Gaines

capnwilliam

This will be my first visit, so I can't speak from experience, but it's advertised as Colonies of the Gulf Coast: life on Isle Dauphine, 1700 - 1800's, with French, British, and Spanish soldiers, and Napoleon's Old Guard drilling and cannon-firing; period camping, candle-making, blacksmith demos. (251) 861-6992 for further info. B)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

First Mate Jannet (the Pyrate Queen) and I just returned. It was a lot of fun! Unfortunately we got a late start and ended up staying at a motel rather than the fort, and missed the main battle; but it was still great meeting up with shipmates old and new, seeing the cannon being fired, and exchanging yarns around the lantern lights!

There's a similar event there in October, and we plan to go again! :huh:

Capt. William

Jan snapped some pics; don't think she finished the roll, though.

We didn't meet anyone from the Pub. Did have dinner and jaw with a mate, Squeeze Box Charley, who I'd corresponded with from another list.

There wasn't a great deal going on, so I was able to really relax, especially in the evening, after the tourists went home. My life is normally so hectic that it felt good to just sit and talk, smoke me clay pipe, and drink some rum.

Dauphin Island was a pretty place, too. :D

Capt. William