Oak Island Money Pit

hitman

What's in the Oak Island Money Pit  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What's in the Oak Island Money Pit

• Capt. Kidd's Treasure
    • The British armies loot from Havanna
    • The plays of Francis Bacon (ie proof he's Shakespere)
    • Not a thing
    • other

Ok so if your more than 15 years old you've heard the story of the oak island money pit. So for the billion dollar question whats at the bottom?

Cast a vote and post you're thought's.

Now as for me I really don't know what to think but from what is known about the pit and its construction I doubt it had to do with Capt. Kidd but then hey we don't know now do we. If I had to quess from me own options I'd say it was the British army what done it or other. Nothing else seems likely.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

I know exactly what they'll find at the bottom of the pit. Once they get to the bottom and everything is taken out. They will find..... wait for it.... they will find. Rocks and Dirt! Remember the key word here is everything. :ph34r: What the everything consists of I have no idea. But after alot of personal experience digging holes, trenches and footings, I can pesonally say that at the bottom of everyone of them I have found rocks and dirt. :ph34r: Because the money pit goes below the water table they will in fact find wet rocks and dirt but, it is still rocks and dirt.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

18 minutes of tape from the Nixon era, Bush's WMD's, 11000 hanging chads, and the ethics of all the ethics committees ever formed, not to mention 15 sets of my car keys.

handy thing, those pits :ph34r:

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

*nods* And about 200 single socks that disappeared in my washing machine over the years... actually, I HAVE NO idea what's down there, but the pieces of gold chain brought up waaaaay back in the day have me wondering...

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

I love this mystery. I'm positive that it has nothing to do with Kidd. My favorite theory is the Spanish treasure ship that was carrying some utterly priceless religious artifact, probably Aztec or Mayan back to Spain. Rumor was it got blown way off course in a storm, and knowing they were lost in English waters they hid the artifacts on Oak Island before continuing on to England.

To me, this theory makes a lot of sense as they knew it was not a question of if but when before they were intercepted, and thus would have been desperate, even crazy enough to go to such lengths.

Though it's very doubtful I also like the Knights Templar theory.

Here is what kills me though - with the incredible array of fiber optic technology today, why don't they just snake a 300 foot optic cable down with an infrared cam? If there is a hollow space they'll see something for sure. BAH! I hate waiting for solvable mysteries.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I have to admit, I like the Knights Templar theories as well (I've heard at least two). I've heard that it's the burried treasure of the Knights Templar that was never found, or that it's a religious artifact. Supposedly the keystone to one of the great pyramids was used as a cornerstone for Solomon's temple, and it had great powers. So, they may just find rocks. As for anything that has reportedly been unearthed there, such as the gold chain, etc., I'm highly skeptical. I don't believe that any of the artifacts (confirmed) are still around today for examination.

Another one I've heard is that the American Government has already found the treasure, and it's being hidden in some government warehouse. This is more fun than Kennedy assassination theories.

Coastie :o

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Ok, someone give me the readers digest version of this story.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

Another one I've heard is that the American Government has already found the treasure, and it's being hidden in some government warehouse.

Ha Ha!! Right next to the Lost Ark of the Covenant!!

As for a reader's digest version... there really isn't one... if we tried to condense it, we'd rob you of a lot of the interesting tid-bits... lemme see if I can't post a URL that'll allow you to read at your convenience...

Touche'

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

This should help get you started... there are a few decent older books you can probably find in your local library, too...

Oak Island

Touche'

Pyrates of the Coast

I don't think it's a treasure at all. I think it's a horiffic monster who couldn't be slain, ala grendel, so they bound it, imprisoned it, and buried it alive two-hundred feet below sea level, with the booby trap designed to prevent anyone from coming close to freeing it. I don't really believe that, but it would make a hell of a movie, wouldn't it?

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Thanks for the link. Now I believe it was made by the same aliens that made the pyramids because the engineering and digging seems to be too good for the time. Putting my tinfoil tri-corn on now.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

What is precisely there remains an unknown, but for a fact something is there. The pit has been known since the late 18th century, and a boreing in the 19th brought up amongst wood bits a bit of coconut hist, and a damaged bit of gold chain - I believe part of a barrel top was gotten out of the excavation before the cofferdam flooded and the excavation under dropped the platform to it's present level.

The found artifacts, and the elaborate construction argue for something of value being concealed - it is far too elaborate for a hoax, and the island was not frequented by the local population until the last years of the 18th century - principly due to the pit being found.

I sincerely doubt it is the loot of Havannah, as the British army is not in the habit of burying loot, but placing same in the hands of it's upper officers and the Crown. I equally find it unlikely to be specifically the loot of Kidd, but it is something of value put there by someone - given the effort and the concealment, it is likely ill-gotten gains.

Thanks for the link. Now I believe it was made by the same aliens that made the pyramids because the engineering and digging seems to be too good for the time. Putting my tinfoil tri-corn on now.

Greetings,

Actually, the scientific knowledge needed to build the main shaft and side tunnels was pretty commonplace back then--not so common now, though, and so we just THINK it was beyond the capabilities of the 18th -century.

The Corsair

El Pirata Posted on Mar 2 2004, 06:01 PM

QUOTE (Capt. Morgan @ Mar 2 2004, 01:12 PM)

Oak Island 

I love that site. 

I found it to be pretty cool, too! Glad I could be of assistance!

Touche'

Pyrates of the Coast

The Skeptical Inquirer has a rather persuasive article on Oak Island by Jor Nickell:

The Secrets of Oak Island

He maintains that the pit is simply a natural formation, layered over with several generations of Masonic obfuscation.

On the chance that it was a pirate, however, my nod would go to Peter Easton.

Reported to have had 5000 pirates under him (albeit not all at the same time), he was based in the neighborhood.

He also knocked over the Spanish treasure fleet before retiring to live happily ever after on the Cote d'Azur.

He had means, incentive, and opportunity. (And probably some coconut mats used to package the Spanish cargo.)

The skeptical inquirer piece is interesting. Always wondered when someone would call into question the reality of the situation. As to it being a natural formation I kind of doubt it all the early explorations found wooden platforms spaced every 10 feet down the hole. Two for someone who has as little first hand knowledge of the place as we do I'd say he makes some very large assumptions. As to the truth of the money pit well it's there the rumors have been there since the start and the speculation won't end till someone actually does something intelligent like say the fiber optic camera idea. course then will only get one more history channel special out of it. As it is we get at least two a year now. Again the theories all sound impractical but hey so does a two hundred foot deep pit protected by a torant of sea water. However lets face it there is a circular pit 13 feet in diameter ( before modern excavation) and two hundred feet deep. By the way is it just me or does the skeptical inquire use the Masonic order like archeologists use the phrase we think it was for religious purposes.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

As a local, I can vouch for a few things:

One. This has nothing to do with Kidd. Kidd was apoor sod screwed over by politics, who tried to buy a chance to escape by inventing a "buried treasure" [at best] or who failed to realise that the Crown had already nipped in and confiscated the stuff he left for safe keeping with a buddy in New England. Nope, not Kidd.

Not the bloody manuscripts of Bill Shakespeare as writ by Marlowe.

_Not_ something that anyone intended to dig up later. The island leaks water like a seive, tunnels or no tunnels. Whatever was stuck down that hole, it was stuck there for keeps.

Not the bleeding Templars, either. There's good odds of figuring when the digging would have taken place based on the still evidence of the lopped branch and remnants of tackle. There was enough left for the kids to notice, not a hundred years of growth.

So? Time and date, it may have been British or French, but no one in [then slightly settled] Mahone Bay noticed a big ship with diggings, or lights, so no big production. Not likely gold, since the only "evidence" for actual gold comes from a 'translation' of a 'coded' inscription which since went missing if ever it was to begin with. The oft-purported 'gold chain link' was to all appearances a bit of copper wire, so I propose the radical possibility that said was actually a bit of copper wire. Thus, I throw in my vote with "other."

Nor do I think the answer matters so much as the question. Heck, mayhaps _nothing_ was put down the hole, but rather the hole was the exercise in itself.

Nor was it Elvis and Aliens from the future burying the corpse of Jimmy Hoffa [grins]. And Easton was not exactly famed for sticking money in a hole in the dirt. Spending was more his style.

URL? http://www.geocities.com/frailbridges/hier...rchy/island.htm and, for those with a sense of humour, http://www.geocities.com/frailbridges/hier...hy/island2.html [templars and aliens, as it were].

- Calico Jack.

One. This has nothing to do with Kidd. Kidd was apoor sod screwed over by politics, who tried to buy a chance to escape by inventing a "buried treasure" [at best] or who failed to realise that the Crown had already nipped in and confiscated the stuff he left for safe keeping with a buddy in New England. Nope, not Kidd.

Agreed. Not only that, but Kidd was on the run and had NO time to bury so much as a box in three feet of soft beach sand. A 200 foot hole would I think take many months of hard work by dozens of men.

The hole had to be dug at a more leisurely time when the diggers knew they were going to be unseen for a time.

I still subsribe to the "Spaniards blown off course by a storm in the early 1500's" theory. This would place a large Spanish galleon FULL of men and soldiers on Oak Island ready to dig. Being the early 1500s they could probably rest easy knowing no English would be in the immediate vicinity, in fact not much of anyone would be there. If they were indeed carrying priceless Aztec treasure, they would have a strong motive to hide it BEFORE crossing to Europe. They wouldn't want to run the risk of meeting English pirates off France or Spain. Since it was merely 1 isolated ship, it could have wrecked on the way home, been taken, plague or fever could have killed the crew...any thing could have happened to prevent them from ever returning for it.

So that is my favorite theory.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

If not treasure in the sense of gold, then perhaps treasure in the sense of archaeological treasures. At the turn of the century they said that the Valley of the Kings in Egypt had been exhausted- Then they found Tut's tomb in the 20's. On my first trip to Egypt in 1995, our highly respected Egyptologist (assistant to Dr. Zahi Hawass) stated then that the Valley of the Kings had been exhausted. About six months after my return to the US, Kent Weeks discovered that there was far more to KV-5 than anyone ever imagined. I think treasures are in the eye of the beholder. That is what I love about archaeology. You never know what might be lying just below your feet!!

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

Agreed, Claire! I volunteered at the excavation at Mount Vernon (Geo. Washington), and was amazed to find shards of discarded dishes that Washington and his family used!! I got to actually hold them in my hands... and tourists, interested to see what we were doing, were disappointed and dismayed to find that we weren't pulling gold and jewels from the site... one, when I told him what we had found, even commented, "That's it?!?"... *sigh* one man's trash is another's treasure... but there is nothing like the thrill of discovery, big or small... that's why I love archaeology... the chance to actually TOUCH living history.

Touche'

Pyrates of the Coast

That's like excavating an old Indian Campground. You don't find the camp. You find their dump.

--------------

sig1.jpg