Period Correct Barrels

Anyone know of a manufacturer of period correct (17th century) barrels?

collage_lb_image_page26_15_1.png

collage_lb_image_page26_24_1.png

Obviously barrels were put to a lot more uses than just storage and transportation of goods during the 17th century. For bonus points - does anyone know what for or why those rectangular holes are cut into the barrels? I have no idea.

Edited by Ivan Henry aka Moose

ihtcbanner.jpg

Our rural electric co-op puts out a monthly magazine and they feature Missouri businesses in each issue. A few months back, earlier this year they did feature a home-grown cooper business that makes barrels for the wine and whiskey industries. The guy that started the business was really knowledgeable and the article stated that he had been researching barrel history as far back as he could. I don't know if they are doing wooden hopps but I doubt it for everyday production, as there would be very little demand, but they might be willing to do some custom work. I'll dig around and see what i can find for contact info.

Bo

I think you might find some from amish markets from time to time. But they do are hard to find, plus wooden hoops don't last very long. Wasn't a big deal back in the days when every small village had at least one guy that knew how to fix them, but now days, it is quite a challenge...

No idea why there are rectangular cuts in the barrel, but the object to the right, that looks like a step-stool with a hole in it, is very interesting. It looks like a primitive close-stool, but also appears to be missing it's lid (if it was supposed to have one). If that's what it is, instead of an odd brazier. Either way, it's kind of odd and interesting.

No idea why there are rectangular cuts in the barrel, but the object to the right, that looks like a step-stool with a hole in it, is very interesting. It looks like a primitive close-stool, but also appears to be missing it's lid (if it was supposed to have one). If that's what it is, instead of an odd brazier. Either way, it's kind of odd and interesting.

Might be a urinal ....

ihtcbanner.jpg

There was another thread discussing this topic...

My personal opinion is that during the GAOP, most normal sized wood barrels should/would have wooden hoops. Only the very largest during this time period may be iron hooped... and those would be too big to use at an event.

I believe there was a guy out of Czech or Poland that was making "reasonably" sized wooden barrels with wood hoops... but shipping might be a bear.

I am unsure of any Stateside wood hoop coopers...

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Now that GoF mentioned the other barrel topic... didn't someone (like Patrick Hand) post a scanned image with directions on how to replace metal hoops with willow ones in that thread?

Try this link... I think I managed to find it on my pocket device! :blink:

Michael_banner.jpg

I don't want to think about the cost of shipping barrels from Poland to the US, but Matuls can provide wood hooped casks and other coopered goods:

http://www.matuls.pl/index.php?IDP=1&Lng=en&IDKategoria=9

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I don't want to think about the cost of shipping barrels from Poland to the US, but Matuls can provide wood hooped casks and other coopered goods:

http://www.matuls.pl...n&IDKategoria=9

Holy Crap! Those are nice! I guess I will need to explore the shipping aspect..... :-)

MB - You just knew that after our conversation I was going to bring this topic up again! rolleyes.gif

ihtcbanner.jpg

You get hazel, withy and lathe bindings on barrels, also rope, copper and iron. Some are flatpack, designed to be stripped down to staves and heads for transportation when empty.

Dunno 'bout new but there's plenty of ex wine barrels about over there for conversion http://www.usedwinebarrels.com/ But that's only one shape, period images of barrels show tall and thin as well as the more familiar squat shape.

Barrels do need looking after, the 30odd big casks work got for'set dressing' fell apart after a year or two, the hazel and withy hoops dry and crack then spring leaving you with a barrel jigsaw. Modern central heating isn't good for them either, dries them out too much. Some are made to be kept wet and vicky verka. Essentially they are disposable items and think hard before investing your hard earned cash as you may have to replace it every couple of years.

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

the powder kegs I am in the process of making have steel straps but I am going to disguise these with withy loops so they cant be seen. Should make the barrels more durable.

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

• 4 weeks later...