In search of wooden blocks, of the pulley variety

Dutchman

hey mates,

we are in search of a supplier for various sized wooden block, aka pulleys. we have identified Dauphinee & son's and are awaiting a reply. i checked in on the woodenboat forums and have exhausted their ideas. any other leads would be great.

Are these to be 'decorative' or actual 'working blocks' as in being put to use on a boat or other purpose?

Secondly, if meant to be used on a vessel or other purpose where you are relying on the safety of the blocks, how period correct need they be?

Blocks can have metal or wood pulleys, brass or iron pins and straps, (some of the older ones were not metal bound but rope bound.

Also blocks for different periods had slightly different shapes. Basically, what I am inquireing about, is what specifically are you looking for in said 'wooden block' ?

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

they will be working blocks on board Luna, 18th century repro ship. I'm a bit timid about using wooden blocks on the uppers, which will carry the most load. i think we will make shells for some nice modern ones to make them look the part. the lowers and most visible- if we can get good ones with a working load rating, we will use accordingly. Having been next to a commercial modern block that shattered like a grenade under load, sending the shiv and bearing down the length of the boat and into the depths, i'm not wild about back yard knockoffs. Otherwise, we will use what we can get for education purposes and relegate them to gun/cargo blocks and such. We are looking for 1/2 to 3/4 inch shiv, rope strapped blocks.

It's exciting to think we are talking rigging for Luna!

I only have one metal cased one with a single groove wooden pulley for that size rope. The eye for mounting is also metal and the case has a star stamped in it. It's been kept inside and is in good condition, I only used it once to hang a deer with. It is originally made for hay loft and similar farm application. If it will help I'll send it but if it isn't what you're looking for no problem. I see some all wood ones in the flea markets but i wouldn't hang a flower pot n those. ;)

Bo

found source for new blocks that are set up to be rope strapped, though it does not show rope with them on the page, but it is a link for Ash and Maple blocks, that have modern test load data.

http://www.classicmarine.co.uk/boatstore/product.asp?s=x3XiYa17437&strParents=0,90&CAT_ID=98&P_ID=349

plus another site with different size in single and double http://www.woodenboatshop.com.au/chandlery/woodenblocks.php#Large_Wooden_Blocks

Edited by Littleneckhalfshell

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I