Mosquito netting

I have tried the search funtion and came up blank, I looked through the 16 pages of the buccaneer project thread and couldn't find the quotes about mosquito netting.

There are/were two different descriptions given about how the boucaniers carried the netting, one stated the netting was carried around the waist like a sash. The other description had them wearing it draped across the shoulder like we see blanket rolls carried in the American Civil War. I am looking through my Exquemeling book on my Kindle, but so far haven't found either of them. I browsed Bennerson Little's book om-line also but couldn't find them there either. Does anyone know or remember where/who gave those descriptions? I haven't tried Pere labat yet, maybe it was from there?

Thanks,

Bo

I'm positive that the waist-sash arrangement was originally written about in French. (I'm sure, because I translated it). That suggests that it either comes from Labat or Raveneau de Lussan. Probably Labat because I have a copy of de Lussan's book in English and so wouldn't have translated it.

(Or possibly from some third French source which I've forgotten about).

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

It was Labat.

I just got a copy of the Hakluyt Society translations of Labat last week, but since it's not inedexed and I wouldn't have put such a thing in my notes I can't cite the page number. Everyone should read his book. It's such a great period read.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Hurricane writes in post #338 (31 december 2008) In "The Buccaneer Project" ""In Benerson Little's book, he covers the look of the logwood cutter boucaniers, the filibusters and the Port Royal buccaneers quite adequately. All of it is referenced to original works, including Dampier and the two priests who wrote books about their time with the buccaneers............... Also tied around the waist was a length of light cloth used as a mosquito net when sleeping; when awake, boucaniers rubbed their faces with pork lard to keep insects away.............Again, this is all cross referenced in the book to period works and authors. I highly encourage anyone wanting to do this period to read or re-read his book. Not perfect... but it is better than many other sources out there on the period.-- Hurricane ""

maybe that is what you remember?

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Dutertre is probably the first to write in French about the Boucanier, large portion of the French edition of Exquemellin are based on his memoires. Here is what he have to say regarding the mosquito net:

...et ceint par le milieu du corps d'un sac qui leur sert pour se coucher dedans pour se garantir d'un nombre innombrable de maringouins qui les piquent et leur sucent le sang de toutes les parties de leur corps qui demeure à découvert...

which means basically:

they wore on their waist a bag in which they sleep in to protect themselves from the infinite number of mosquitoes who bite and suck their blood from every part of their body that remain exposed