Cool Stuff I saw on eBay

Mission

Pretty nifty. They look remarkably like something that a navigator might have use for to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350472751206&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

They are very similar. Some of the sets even come with small parallel rules and a gunter scale. I watch lots of them on ebay but they tend to go for a few hundred dollars/pounds. I havent seen one thats from the GaoP though. Most are from late 1700s or early 1800s through to victorian times

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

• 3 weeks later...

Some officer's etuis:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...ME:B:SS:US:1123

Antique_Georgian_Silver_Etui_Officers_Necessaire_12k.jpg

I wonder what all the stuff is? The spoon may be an ear scoop and it looks like there's a set of tweezers...

This one says the tan folding things are 'a thin natural wafer 2-leaf note and measuring pad.' Really?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...ME:B:SS:US:1123

Engraved_Antique_Officer_Necessaire_Etui_with_Tools.jpg

Engraved_Antique_Officer_Necessaire_Etui_with_Tools_desc.jpg

Too bad they have reserves or I'd watch them.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Not sure about the measuring part, but yes, the two leaf note taking thing should be little slivers of ivory. They were the notebook of the period and I think they could be cleaned off and re-used. There is a stylus for writing on it, and in the first sample, I think there's a razor. The spoon is really odd for an ear scoop, but it's so very tiny I'm not sure what else it would be used for. Too small for measuring tea, but perhaps medicines?

The second example has a wonderful set of little scissors. And a cute little ear wax scoop/toothpick, which looks more like you'd expect considering other examples out there.

If anyone is interested in having a little notebook like the ones in the etuis, I understand that they can be made by recycling old ivory piano keys. Some folks in the F&I/Revwar community played with this several years back. You might even be able to find reproductions being made & sold somewhere.

Thanks for the links, those are lovely!

Yeah, I was talking with Michael and Kate Bagley over the weekend and they explained the re-usable notebook idea to me. Very clever. They also said you can buy repros of them somewhere...was it JAS Townsend?

(I saved the photos to my website and added them to the above post for future reference - eBay only saves auctions for a month or two.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

I was talking to my husband about this and he thought it was either Townsend, Godwin, or possibly even Smoke & Fire who carries the ivory note pads.

Good idea for saving the entry, Mission. But having the original would be so much nicer :D