Period Pappers

RIPP Tar

Does anyone know where I can find information concerning papers that would have been carried on a privateers ship? I'm looking for things like insurance, investors notes and the like. Our crew recreates the Queen Ann's War. Any info would be appreciate.

Ha, currently looking for similar ourselves... will keep you posted when we come up with anything

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Obviously, privateering articles. Here's a set of American privateer articles from the Seven Years' War.

The purser's papers are described in the 1707 Sea-Man's Vade Mecum right from your time period. Read with care, as some of the instructions may be more applicable to Navy ships than privateers.

They are to keep an exact Prick and Cheque-Book, of the Time and Entry, Discharge, Attendance, running away, death and Absence of all and every Man, Boy and Grommet belonging to the Ship, when they are at Sea; and out of that Book make and deliver under their Hands, to the Parties that are lawfully discharged, a Ticket or Pass, which is also to be signed by the Captain, Master and Boatswain, or any two or three, whereof the Captain, if present, is to be one, containing their true Name, Entry, Office, Discharge, and the Cause thereof. . . .

When the Ship to which he belongs is commanded to Sea, he is to demand from the Surveyor or Clerk of the Survey, and the Office of the Ordnance, true Copies under their Hands, of all Indentures and Proportions of Stores by them issued for the present Service and Supply of the Ship to the Boatswain, Gunner and Carpenter: and after the Ship enters into Sea Wages, to keep an exact Journal Book of the expences of all Provisions committed to their Trust respectively; requiring the Boatswain, Gunner and Carpenter, at their Perils, not to cut any Cable, take down or put up any Rigging, scale and Guns, give any Salutes, repair or new build any Cabbins, Bulk Heads, or Steward Rooms, &c. without giving Notice to him to enter the same; that he may upon each of their Accompts make a distinct Entry of the Quality and Quantity of each Material expended, specifying the Time when, the Place where, the Cause why, and the Party by whose Command the same were expended; and after the same entry made, take the Captain and Masters Hands to his Book, to justifie the Truth of the Entry, and the Boatswain, Gunner and Carpenters Hands, to prevent all future Cavils upon the Ballance of their several Accompts.

The pilot also had to keep two journals on a long voyage, and often keep other papers:

In long Voyages he shall have two Journals, in one of which he shall write the Changes of the Courses and Winds, the Days and Hours of the Changes, Leagues which he believes the Ship has sailed in each, the Reductions in Latitude and Longitude, the Variations of the Compass, together with the Towns and Shores he has discovered. And in the other he shall write out clean once in four and twenty Hours, Courses, Longitude and Latitude reduced, and Latitudes observed, and all other remarkable things discovered during the Voyage. . . .

If there be no Clerk, the Pilot shall be obliged, if required by the Master, to take an Account of the Goods brought on Board, and to make the Inventories of the Effects left by Persons during a Ship-board, which shall be signed by the Master, and two of the principal Mariners.

aye we have these...but thanks for contributing what you have come across, I greatly appreciate your time and energy!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/