Spanish Cannon

Captain Midnight

It seems to me that there would be very little need to traverse a cannon on a ship under way, as the ship is moving horizontally, and the target is also in motion horizontally, so the gun will naturally come to bear on the target anyhow. It would be just a matter of getting the proper elevation for the range, and waiting for the right moment to fire, keeping in mind the roll of the ship. Minor adjustments, if needed would be done using handspikes, which are large levers used like prybars and also used to adjust elevation. To set the elevation, the large wooden wedge is positioned under the breech manually while the weight of the barrel is held up by the handspikes.

>>>> Cascabel

Those were my thoughts, too, Cascabel. I just don't see the necessity of traversing aboard ship, thus my failure to see the logic in the belief that these Spanish guns were not as accurate for that reason. If, for whatever reason, the gun did need to traverse, my instincts and experience with field guns tell me that a two-wheeled carriage such as this would make it easier.

Hypothetically speaking, I could take a ship armed with cannons such as this, along with good quality iron shot, and well-trained gunners using English naval tactics, and could do battle every bit as effectively as any other English vessel. One simply has to know which tactics work best and how to utilize one's weapons to their highest potential. With all due respect, it wasn't the Spanish guns that weren't effective, it was the gunners and the tactics they employed... :lol:

Edited by Captain Midnight

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

• 2 months later...

Well, I have been working since late December building a carbide cannon in the form of (or as close as I can get) to a historical replica of a Spanish cannon, and here are pics of my project so far. Sorry for the poor quality of the pics, they were taken last night in low light conditions. Pay no heed to the dates on the pics, I have just not reset the correct date on my camera. The barrel is nearly finished now, it simply needs the vent (touch hole) drilled, and its final coat of paint. The red color in the pics is simply a primer coat. I hope to finish up the barrel in the next week or so, and then on to building its carriage. It has been a challenge; much planning, sculpting, casting...but I am well pleased with the results. I present to you El Azufre ("Brimstone")...hope you all enjoy!

194928_1934713009580_1294953809_2402023_8317977_o.jpg

191375_1934713489592_1294953809_2402024_6758644_o.jpg

A shot of the first reinforce, showing the Spanish arms in relief.

193762_1934713849601_1294953809_2402025_3344096_o.jpg

A shot of El Azufre's dolphins, and the casting date.

193725_1934712529568_1294953809_2402021_240959_o.jpg

Forward shot of the dolphins.

191630_1934714769624_1294953809_2402028_34625_o.jpg

The muzzle with the cannons name cast in relief.

176792_1934715969654_1294953809_2402033_373316_o.jpg

The muzzle and bore.

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

(1945)

Thank you Korisios! Yes, I will most likely build only this one. Although I do have a special mold for the dolphins, which I can cast very quickly now, the rest of the cannon is painstakingly crafted and sculpted by hand. I could make another cannon, but they are very labor-intensive. If I ever make another, I would have to build El Azufre's identical twin, El Fuego ("Fire")...("Fire and Brimstone"), the two main guns aboard my ship. :unsure:

(1945)

Vintage Sailor, the dolphins are roughly 5-1/2 to 6 inches in length, and about 3 or 3-1/2 inches tall...I am yet undecided whether or not I will make them available for purchase, but as of this posting, I am more inclined not to sell them. ;)

(1945)

• 2 weeks later...

The cannon barrel is now finished except for drilling the vent hole. These are the updated pics of its final finish. You can now see some of the details a little clearer, such as the trunnion markings, the crest, etc.

ElAzufre8.jpg

ElAzufre9.jpg

ElAzufre10.jpg

ElAzufre11.jpg

ElAzufre12.jpg

ElAzufre13.jpg

(1945)

All Ready to drop in the nearest post office box for me! Haa HArr Harr ~

Beautiful Cannon! Can't wait to see a pic of it being fired mate! Just Awesome!

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Oderless! The ignitor came in this week, and I will drill the barrel and fit it this week. It won't be long and I'll be ready to test fire.

(1945)

• 1 month later...

The cannon is progressing slowly, but very nicely. I expect to have the old Spaniard living up to its name and belching fire and brimstone by the middle of summer. The barrel is now completely finished, the vent drilled and firing mechanism installed and working perfectly. I have finished the wheels and mounted them to the completed axle. Next step in the process are the cheeks. The carriage is being completely built without modern fasteners. It is glued and pegged with wooden pegs, and the few nails that are in the carriage are authentic forged cut nails. These nails stud and secure the rim of the wheel, as well as the metal joint plates and the iron reinforcings around the carriage.

Wheel3.jpg

Wheel2.jpg

Wheel1.jpg

Wheel4.jpg

(1945)

• 5 months later...

Update! I finally finished the woodwork on "Brimstone's" carriage. Still needs a bit of sanding, some paint, and the iron hardware mounted.

ElAzufre1.jpg

ElAzufre2.jpg

ElAzufre3.jpg

ElAzufre4.jpg

ElAzufre5.jpg

(1945)

Amazing!, I also like the wood work especialy the wheels, I do some small woodwork my self, and i could do the carriage but technicaly the wheels would scare me of of such a project.

Are you going to paint the wood! Maybe weather it a bit? Ore just rub the whole thing with some kind of oil??

gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

Ahoy Korisios! Thank you for your kind words, mate. Truthfully, I think that you could make the wheels. They are not as difficult as you would imagine. Yes, I intend to paint the carriage. It will be painted a nice colonial red.

(1945)

• 2 weeks later...

The nearly completed Spanish cannon "El Azufre", twin brother of "El Fuego", one of the two main guns aboard Revenant, Captain Midnight's flagship.

ElAzufre6.jpg

(1945)