Reptile leather in the 17th and 18th century?

Hey all! I first mentioned this as an afterthought in a post on cartouches and bags in the workshop area of the forum.

But I figured I would throw this out there, Although I doubt they were commonly used, because I haven't found any documentation suggesting it, but I've always wondered if sheaths, bags, etc. were made out of the various reptilian species (caiman, snakes, gator, etc.) people ran into throughout the Main and the Caribbean? Anybody find any primary resources stating such? Food for thought at least lol :rolleyes:

Edited by Tattooed John

-Tattooed John

"Although your letter does not deserve a reply, since you call me a corsair,

I write you these few lines to ask you to come quickly.

We are waiting for you with great pleasure and we have powder and ball with which to receive you."

-Sir Henry Morgan

I thinks exotic stuff would have been very much in demand and to the liking of the people of the time. Taken the fact that they also used turtle shells for cunpouder flasks and ivory for making loods of other things... Exotic woods for furniture and stuff. I would say using exotic animal skins would be in the line of these things... Never the less other than the pouderflask I would not have direct evidence...dry.gif

gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

I've seen photos of extant period crocodile-skin-wrapped surgeon's pocket instrument cases. John Yonge mentions one in his book, The Journal of James Yonge [1647-1721] Plymouth Surgeon:

“[After capture by the Dutch, Yonge tried to retrieve some of his supplies.] I told Mr. Shepherd {who was helping Yonge] they had some of my books and my plaster box. The book, he told me, were taken away by the Lords, being journals and manuscripts, the box he would fetch me. My box was a plain thing and had but 3 silver instruments. He brought me a fine new Nisle skin [crocodile-skin] box, that he took from the chyrurgeon of the Swiftsure who died in the prison. I innocently said it was not mine, then he fetched the other, which I took, kissing his hand, bid him farewell. He often admired my honesty in refusing the better box, protesting he thought it had been mine.” (Yonge, p 99-100)

As you can see, this agrees with what Korisios said; croc-skin-wrapped items were considered more luxurious than not. However, a pirate would necessarily be attracted to such things when stealing from prisoners, so if you can find the reference you're looking for, I think you could make a case for a pirate having it.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG