Need information on ancient Irish Pirates

cmsciulli

Ahoy Mateys,

My boyfriend and I are part of a medieval recreation society known as the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism). We are currently doing research on ancient Irish pirates in order to create personas, and our search led us to this forum. I was wondering if any of you sea veterans know of any good books, articles, links, or other resources that may aide our research. . . we are looking for historical accounts of Irish pirates before the 15th century and the earlier the better.

Thanks!

All accounts of early Irish piracy will be found in the chronicles of the monk of that time. I would suggest focussing your search in that area. It will probably be a bit vague, as the term "pirate" probably didn't even exist then. In fact, the closest thing to a pirate of that time will most likely resemble a thrown-together raiding party of farmers and sailors and such.

Wartooth

Define Ancient. 1500's, 1400's, 1600's? There be allot of references out there for pirates. But as Wartooth be telling ya. Irish will be somewhat limited. There were more crew that twir pirate than say captains and beings how your society don't have too many persants or sailor class you may be hard pressed. Good topic though.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

Th' Irish dunna have much o' a sailor class?

An' who's Grace O'Malley then? :angry:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Not the Irish, The SCA. Most kingdoms are real heavy Roalty, upper merchant class. Yes there were many an Irish sailor. But few who were "big time" pirates. Not that there weren't any, just fewer than other countries and not as well documented. And she was a pirate during Elizabeth the I. Again which timeperiod.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

Aye,

Ah, my misunderstandin'.... Bein' both partly Irish, and partly in the SCA... I musta got confused.....

I do a Scotts-Irish Captain, with a Letter of Marque, in the eastern realms... Tho, I might need a new one, seein' as their royalnesses have changed since I first got me letter.....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Question Dorian. I be eastern. in CT to be exact. How do you go about joining up with a "vessel" in eastern waters?

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Aye Scupper,

Well..... I did it by knowin' th' Admiral... whom, in his devine ability, had speaks wi' th Baron of our 'umble lands. He, th' Baron, then granted me wi' th' Letter of Marque....

So, in all actuality, I didn't join a vessel.... I would assume ye just find them like-minded lads n' lassies... ask iffn' they need some new crew...

Thants wot most o th' lads who done crewed under me did, they found me an' asked....

I's hopin' this'll help ye...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif