Pirate Myths and Reality

Fox

Foxe,I have focused my main area of interest on the hide trade specifically, and I cannot find a lot of information on what was done with the hides after they reach England. I have a good idea that gloves, breeches, and gaiters were among the goods produced from viewing period art and inventories, but the number of deer hides being exported seem far geater than the market for these three items. Any information you may be aware of on this would be very appreciated. Also, any period information as to how the hides were shipped. I am focusing my impression on the later time period of 1780-90, but any information would help. Thanks...

Bo

How about addressing the presence and influence of syphilis among the pirates? Both the disease itself and the need for medicines to treat it. Of course the disease was everywhere at the time, but it was especially rife among armies, navies and pirates.

Wasn't this one of the main reasons for Blackbeard to blockade Charleston and take prisoners?

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

That is Really Cool Mr Foxe

My guess is that folks who would sign up for such a Parley are going to be foaming at the mouth for any info.

Depending on how much time you have to speak, I'd go with 1/3 of the time for a BROAD overview of Myth/Reality, 1/3 on some specific minutia that is cool (what are commons threads of all the probate and wills of all the pirates you have read through? as an example). And then leave the last 1/3 for Q and A.... but have some back up stuff in case the crowd is silent (but I doubt that).

I hope you are going to have audio visual capability... slides of reality vs Myth would be cool.

Best of Luck to you!

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

PS

Do yourself a favor and take MANY copies of your books to sign and sell!

Edited by Gentleman of Fortune

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

"I hope you are going to have audio visual capability... slides of reality vs Myth would be cool."

Mr. Foxe is going to have a 12,000 lumen projector at hand, which should be sufficient to shed light on the subject.

We are also hoping to have a 1724 2nd edition of Johnson's GHP present in case we run short of myths!

As to topic:

What about letting us in on your Jolly Roger info, Foxe?

I might manage a snippet on Jolly Rogers for you :(

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Foxe, I'm sure your presentation will be entralling to any who attend.

When ever we are asked to talk ( as opposed to playing music), I always spend several minutes trying to make the audience know and FEEL just how important shipping was to the civilization of those days, how critical is was in the day to day lives of citizens, especially those in the colonies. Modern audiences have no concept of this, so the whole idea of piracy is at least once removed from thier minds, if not further. Once firmly fixed in their heads, a talk on piracy has a more intense effect, I find.

Attendees should feel priviledged to be able to hear one of the best authorities on the subject; making it more personal to them could only enhance your presentation.

Of course, I could be full of **it , too! Sorry I can not attend this.

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands