Pirate Looking for a Ship

Pirates,

I recently decided that I wouldn't mind taking next year off from school if I could sail. Trouble is, I need somewhere to do it. Of course, my preference would be to spend the time on the Royaliste, but I'd be willin' to consider just about anything. The only catch is money... I'd work for room and board, but I don't want one where I have to pay a substantial amount of money to work for someone. Any ideas? This is all still in the planning stages, of course...

my guess is that you'd have to hook up with some merchants, and show them why they'd want you on board. i know from my SCAdian experiences that there are a very select few who might be willing to offer you this chance. but, as to how to contact them, well...i'm not certain. if you're interested i might be able to dig up a name or two, but i can't promise much. honestly, i'd stick to me schoolin'.

Pirates,

I recently decided that I wouldn't mind taking next year off from school if I could sail. Trouble is, I need somewhere to do it. Of course, my preference would be to spend the time on the Royaliste, but I'd be willin' to consider just about anything. The only catch is money... I'd work for room and board, but I don't want one where I have to pay a substantial amount of money to work for someone. Any ideas? This is all still in the planning stages, of course...

I'm still open, I just havent anything firm regarding self. Email me...... :(

:angry:

my guess is that you'd have to hook up with some merchants, and show them why they'd want you on board. i know from my SCAdian experiences that there are a very select few who might be willing to offer you this chance. but, as to how to contact them, well...i'm not certain. if you're interested i might be able to dig up a name or two, but i can't promise much. honestly, i'd stick to me schoolin'.

Lad, I agree with morguinness.....Stay in school. There will be plenty of time for adventure later and you will be better prepared for it........Take it from me, I quit high school and soon found many dead end streets. Within nine months I had to get my ged just to keep up with the competition.....now days you just about need a collage degree to pump gas.

Give yourself the start in life that you need so you can enjoy life’s future adventures.

duel.gif

:) There be a lot 'o irons in the fire concernin' me Ship, an' I feel a small need for clarification. Regardless of my decisions concerning my own future, and depending on what elements come in to play for opportunities open to the 'ROYALISTE', I am still trying to make the Bougainville Voyage 2005. whether that is on a trailer, on Her hull thru the Carribean, or on the deck of a commercial ship, ..I dunno.. But the fact remains that even if I return to my profession as a Rigging Foreman, and whether the Ship returns to the West Coast or not, I'll still be aiming for that reenactment...Now, where's the rum gone??

royal2.gif

:D

And as my own clarification, I am in no way intending to leave school on any more than a year-long sabbatical, which the College offers to everyone if they want it. Many tutors encourage it, as the program we do here is intense and mentally draining. And I can't think of something I'd rather do than spend time on a tallship, specially if I could make the reenactment with the good ship ROYALISTE.

• 3 weeks later...

Ali_Glassie@stgeorges.edu

If you're looking to take a semester off, there's a program called SEA. It's basically maritime studies out of Woods Hole, Mass, half of which takes place aboard a 134 foot brigantine I believe. I'm planning to do it when I go to college. A lot of schools give course credit for it. Their website is www.sea.edu :unsure:

Agreed, I'd stay wif the schoolin', mate. I'm probably much younger than you and therefore have less experience, bu' every single person I know that takes a year offa school and/or college says it's almost impossible to go back.

My friend actually approached me recently concernin' a program that allows students to spend a semester on board a tallship and actually get school credit. Don' quote me, bu' I believe it's science credit. If yer in California, I think yer applicable fer the program. If ye want, I can try and get more info.

It sounds a lot like the program piratelassie was talkin' abou', but I know there's one based on the West Coast, so it may be different, or if not, related.

Captain Wolfy Wench