Grappling Hooks for sale

KingsForge

Anvil? What anvil? That be a right useful hook thar.

Jas. Hook :wub:

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I do wish she were a Peter Wright mate but this one was made in Philadelphia PA. She's a good one though and has seen much service but cared for well.

A Peter Wright Anvil just like mine!!! Am I wrong? I recognize the design.

Bo

Will King

Kings Forge and Muzzleloading

Aye Cap'n! We were asked on Thursday by a mate ifin we could make grappling hooks for me mates and were provided specs of some originals from our friends at Letters of Marque. I have Pod to thank for providing the pictures so we could copy an original

Anvil? What anvil? That be a right useful hook thar.

Jas. Hook :wub:

Will King

That sure looks like a Peter Wright, I think the Phillie company made a mold from one! :wub:

The hook looks awesome, what welding process do you use? That's something I have never learned to do successfully on the forge. (I cheat and use my Miller 250 wire feed).

Bo

Ahoy Bo! Now that right there would be Arrsome!

Typically we use Anhydrous Borax for most projects and we did use some on the centers of these hooks. However we did use a welder on the outsides of this hook also as we know they will be used and want them to hold up without danger of someone getting hurt. Can't always trust in Borax to hold and I have to be sure it will

That sure looks like a Peter Wright, I think the Phillie company made a mold from one! :wub:

The hook looks awesome, what welding process do you use? That's something I have never learned to do successfully on the forge. (I cheat and use my Miller 250 wire feed).

Bo

Will King

Very nice work, and I have been looking at your axes too. Very good stuff you have. I gave up on coal forge too. I got a propane fired one. Still have the old one but it never gets used anymore. It is so much more convenient to crack open the valves, click the igniter and go. Then if you have to stop you just close the valves and leave without having to worry about the fire still being lit. Sorry for the hijack, but I just had to say what a good job you're doing, and converse a bit with a fellow smith.

Bo

Thank you very much Bo! I like a coal forge but as you know the propane is much cleaner and it is better for yer work in my mind at least...lol! Makes for a cleaner finished product in the end which I think passes over to a stronger finished product also. Always glad to be makin the acquaintance of a fellow smithy. Seems were gettin to be a rare breed

Very nice work, and I have been looking at your axes too. Very good stuff you have. I gave up on coal forge too. I got a propane fired one. Still have the old one but it never gets used anymore. It is so much more convenient to crack open the valves, click the igniter and go. Then if you have to stop you just close the valves and leave without having to worry about the fire still being lit. Sorry for the hijack, but I just had to say what a good job you're doing, and converse a bit with a fellow smith.

Bo

Will King

• 2 weeks later...

As if to prove that the Kings Forge grappling hook is bang on period for us I have just found this one on an auction site:

19338_1977_1_lg.jpg

Large iron grappling hook, professionally conserved. 12 lb, 25" tall and about 17" wide. Impressively intact 4-pronged hook with ring through eyelet at top, very solid and only lightly striated by corrosion, coated black (no rust), probably used by Spanish salvagers after the wreck, first we have seen from the 1715 Fleet.

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

Thanks Mate! As you know we do try to make pieces that will fit the period. Presently working on a 17th century Dutch Cutlass as a special order and may make it available as as stocked item in time. Will post pics as it comes along

Will King