Gathering clothing and accoutrements

Matthew

Hey Jas,

I appreciate the insight, I'll take a look at my gear and see what can be used for pirating about the bay. At this point I have a fire starter kit, a leather covered bottle, long socks, a knife and hatchet that are 18th century repros but a few things from my civil war gear can pass for either one.

MK

Ahoy Matthew -

Welcome aboard matey.

:rolleyes: Look at your CW kit and see what can be adjusted or modified, shirt, belt, jacket, pants, hat, etc. May not be exactly pc but is an inexpensive way to start a pirate kit.

Jas. Hook B)

I see a trend here y'all, haha. I will make sure not to say "unit" but rather algonquinistic rabble of men and women with negotiable moral terpitude. Anyway, thanks for the advice and info, you have all been very helpful and I look forward to getting into the hobby (which word is used for that?). Thanks for anything you guys and gals can offer to loan or sell or rent, etc. If any of you live in Richmond shoot me your number and maybe we can get together and you can show me what you've got so I know what to get. I'll bring the beer! Did I mention I'm already a legal pirate? It's called working for the Virginia Department of Taxation...

Regards,

Matthew

Welcome Matthew!

Mission - you said "Unit" rolleyes.gif

I too have some "don't wear no mores" if you be my size - but then, we don't know your size... This is the place to get info - very knowledgable folks here, for the most part. rolleyes.gif If I can help you with armament or accessories let me know.

Matthew - If you're keen on Morgan era info (mid-1660s) I have some info that might be of interest. PM me and we'll go from there.

Brass

one of Morgan's Men, "Guantanamo Jack" Brass

"No peace beyond the line"

Welcome to the pub Matthew...and no, the Archangel crewe is not a unit...although we are more "orderly" then any of the others here, as we portray privateers/pyrate hunters...not pyrates. A number of our crewe live in Virginia, I am over in the Charlottesville area..If historical accuracy is yer interest then ye may wish to consider changing sides... :rolleyes:

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

i live in portsmouth sir...where are you doing a civil war event?...and this also makes me wonder....which side were you on in the civil war?...i feel you might have been with mine friend Ian...and that i may have shouted "remember fort pillow!" at you.......

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

Fort Pillow? sigh...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

i live in portsmouth sir...where are you doing a civil war event?...and this also makes me wonder....which side were you on in the civil war?...i feel you might have been with mine friend Ian...and that i may have shouted "remember fort pillow!" at you.......

Aye Bos'n Cross, but now Matthew has seen the error of his ways and come over to the darkside and joined the brethren of the coast. :wub:

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

there are better and lesser sorts of naughty in my opinion sir!.......we are a better naughty that those confederates....and we have cookies...and brandy!

Psssst... Bos'n Cross, sir, don't forget the ale and the wenches to.

Jas. Hook :wub:

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I appreciate your historical knowledge of the Civil War and Fort Pillow but I don't appreciate being heckled for being a civil war reenactor. I've studied it and written about it and I am proud to be a confederate reenactor. I am also familiar with the massacre at FP and it was a horrible event. I will be in portsmouth reenacting secession and in Richmond on April 17 reenacting the vote as George Wythe Randolph. I don't heckle you, please treat me with the same respect. Thanks.

oh sir, no malice meant! i am friends with quite a few civil war groups, all of them on the confederate side mind you......i apologize, there is a bit of a running thing between myself and many of them to that effect........my friends unit has a member named mattew as well, who had shown interest in pyracy at mta, i though you were he...but you......are not........(which then make me wonder how many confererate units were ta mta)and no i wasnt griping about fort pillow, im really very non...griping....i just realized my good captain hadnt heard of it, an mentioned that he should look it up

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

::: shakes head:::

Welcome, Matthew. Glad ye made it to this establishment. As ye've noticed, ye'll find everythin' ye need here or be pointed in th' right direction.

Also... no bashing meant. Many of us here reenact and perform other eras. So, we be a most understanding lot. :)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Matthew

Most decent "units" should have enough stuff to get you kitted out for your first event or so.

The world of pirate re-enacting is a very large tent, and there are many different approaches. Some folks go in for the silliness aspects of slapstick piracy as seen in a lot of Hollywood movies. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I have known a few hard-core re-enactors from other periods who just want to do something to let their hair down and not worry about their stitching, or chrome tanned leather...

There are also groups that try to do it as close to historically accurate as possible. Thank God for those folks too!

Then there are the entertainment pirates, who sing and dance and make people feel good about themselves and make going to the event 100% fun for everybody.

You might want to try each one... as you might "think" you belong in a certain category, only to find out that the grass really is greener in another camp... no harm/no foul.

I am from the Tidewater area of Virginia myself, and there are LOTS of groups of all types within a comfortable drive of there... Hampton Blackbeard Festival is coming up... soon.

Good luck!

Edited by Gentleman of Fortune

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Welcome mate! I know from browsing the web and looking at sites that no quarter given has a tremendously extensive merchants page on their site you may want to take a look at. http://noquartergiven.net/merchant.htm

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.

Welcome Aboard Mathew....I think you'll find pyracy both fun and challenging. It has something for everyone. I'm a historic re-enactor meself that has followed my family roots through the 1860's and wound up here, a bit of a devolution. As others have stated, there's all different schools of pyracy here, but most strive for correctness and certain time periods. Many are very Historically driven and quite knowledgable. Ya know re-enactors...we all evolve to the point we feel comfortable at. Pick your spot and don't fear change, you already know...It just Happens...By the way my family were Northerners, but my heart has always belonged to the South. Especially Virginia and Hampton Roads where one of ancestors plundered quite regularly.Don't worry, I don't think anybody was makin' fun of your Civil War involvement. There's plenty here from the same backround. Again welcome aboard, sit back and enjoy the ride.

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins