Flagler College student researchers

aarcher

Hello all!

We are three student researchers at Flagler College in St. Augustine, Florida. Historical reenactment and interpretation are a major part of St. Augustine life (the oldest continuously inhabited European-established city in the continental U.S.!), so for an anthropology class we've decided to study both communities, locally and nationally, face-to-face and online. We are looking to discover what they have in common, how they are different, and what motivates individuals to participate in their respective communities.

With your permission, we would like to view online forum activity in order to understand how reenactors and interpreters use online communities. Also, we would like to request that you take a few minutes to participate in an online survey collecting basic information.

Click here to take survey.

If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know!

Thank you for your time,

Amy, Josh, and Tom

aarcher@flagler.edu

Done. Thanks for asking. I hope you'll share some of your finding with us eventually. It would be interesting.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I fixed your link for you. :P

Some suggestions...

You might want to explain what you mean by 'interpretation', Amy. I don't know about anyone else here, but it is not immediately clear to me and I've been doing this for several years.

The question about how many hours you re-enact a month is also a bit of a challenge to answer in that form. Many of us re-enact during the summer months and take late fall and the winter off. So it's not really an hours/month sort of thing. I could much more easily tell you how many days a year I am involved in re-enacting.

Well those are my thoughts anyhow.

Have fun mining the data. :P (Four stat courses later and I know the drill - I have also done some statistical analysis via this forum.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

@hurricane: Thank you! Our final findings and project will be made available to everyone once it's all put together.

@Mission: Thanks for the fix. :) St. Augustine has a lot of living history museums, and we've found that employees and volunteers at the museums tend to describe themselves as interpreters rather than reenactors. They usually work in first-person or third-person to educate the public about a particular era/culture. And the survey's been updated for better options.

Done.

And I'd definitely like to see the results. We're a fairly small sample of the greater population here in the Pub. Have you polled any other forums?

Yes, we've posted to reenactor.net as well, but we haven't had much success finding forums that are very active. Any recommendations?

You could try the yahoo group RevList. And there are probably similar lists for F & I (French and Indian) and ALHFAM-Association for Living History, Farm and Agricultural Museums. You could probably pick a war or major movement in history and there's a forum for it. And you'll probably find quite a few people who do multiple periods.

Yes, we've posted to reenactor.net as well, but we haven't had much success finding forums that are very active. Any recommendations?

I'll put a link on the Pyracy Pub FaceBook Fan page for you. Since FB got all popular and stuff the forum traffic has dropped somewhat. Although when I put together a survey on this forum pre-FB, I got about 30 responses, so you're not doing that badly.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Me two shillings hav' been tossed on to the pile. ;)

Jas. Hook :P

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney