Black Pearl for sale

wes1761

While interesting, several things strike me as "off" . . .

Mainly, the hull itself looks like a modern design "converted" to look "pirate-y" and it bears the ship name from a recent famous movie, while claiming to be a replica of one built by Henry Morgan in the mid/late 1660s. It just doesn't LOOK like a larger vessel of that period. Also, it is claimed to be his "flagship," while the built craft is only 2-masted, not 3 (so, not technically a ship by the terms of that period-> part of the definition "ship" was being 3-masted and square rigged).

Here is the story on the sale sight itself:

"A group of men wanted to build a copy of the famous "Black Pearl", not only as it used to look but also with the same materials and in the same place where this famous ship was built 338 years ago! The wood used included the Santa Maria wood for the frame and the Pine for the sheathing. The Black Pearl was constructed according to a primitive drawing by one of the sea robbers, who was sailing this ship. A lot of time was spent drawing and designing the ship, constructing and paying attention to all the details to preserve the original look of the vessel."

And later:

"Black Pearl

"The ship of a famous sea robber"

the Black Pearl

Henry Morgan was born in Welse in 1635. A sailor and a soldier, who served under the British Crown, became one of the most famous sea robbers of all time. At first he was a slave on the Barbados, then he went to Port Royal where he bought a leadership of the ship called Ganymed. Later when he was under the Lord Christopher Myngse´s command he took part in a foray with his ship and connected two highly valuable points in the Caribbean Sea, Truhia and Grenada, to the British Crown. He received attention of generals, common sailors and soldiers and respect of all captains in the Caribbean Sea thanks to his skills, cleverness and brightness. Afterwards he gave rise to Liberty Brotherhood and finally also to his own republic of the sea robbers. In 1667 Henry Morgan decided to build pride of his fleet, the Black Pearl. It was his flag-ship, where he spent his all free time and from where he operated all of his robber's actions, legal sea fights under the British flag and even wild inordinate drunks. He could make the best of the hostility between the Spaniards and the British. As he still ploughed the sea between Jamaica and Panama, he decided to build his ship on the Honduras coast, i.e. approximately halfway to the present town of La Cieba. It was very close to his favorite Roatan Island, where he often anchored, rested with his crew and repaired ships damaged in fights. Since the island was surrounded with a coral cliff being highly dangerous for ships, any ship of his chasers did not risk getting to Morgan. At present his favorite place on the Roatan Island is called Port Royal like the famous pirate town in Jamaica. It lies on the east part of the island in the direction to the Honduras coast. The Black Pearl was floated in 1669. This ship took part in many fights and robberies; the biggest one was an invasion in Panama in 1671. One year later, Morgan was put in prison in England. He, however, proved his innocence in a plot and was finally promoted to a noble status in 1674. Later he returned to the Jamaica as its governor and the main judge. Henry Morgan died after long illness in England in 1688."

I'll let some of the Morgan experts on this site comment on the possible validity of that story . . .

(Morgan is one of the famous "pirates" that A LOT is known about and well documented. So, verification to possible is pretty straight forward.)

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

If I had a million dollars to spend on something like that, I would probably still balk.. from 2.5 million down to 994 grand? I've been in horse sale barns and on used car lots many times and I consider myself pretty "savvy" in these matters (pun intended). Sumpthin's wrong here hoss. B) It would be a lot of fun to put here on the lake for touristy attractions though. When the price falls to $69.95, I'll see where my funds are at. :lol::o

Not quite historically accurate, but it is a fairly nice ship.... and the bronze cannons are beautiful peices.

I wonder how it looks in person. Could be a great cruiser, might be more modern "pirate-like" fun than accurate. Still, could be VERY cool to own.

The price drop also was another "off" thing. Still, for that price, one could get a VERY accurate sloop made to order. I'd rather have that if I had the money. This is designed for paid group cruises (cruise for hire stuff). For that purpose it is GREAT!!

I just found it amusing that alot of folks are looking at it wondering where to get their Jack Sparrow duds, looking at the name and all, and ignoring the actual pedigree or historic intentions of the builders.

Bo, if it goes for $69.99, put me in for at least half!! I got 2 poder monkeys at home!!! 2 more and we can fire the 4 cannon!! lol

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

[snip] ignoring the actual pedigree or historic intentions of the builders.[snip]

Not in Captain Twill, but based on the claims of the seller accuracy is a relevant issue. They claim it is based on a sketch of Captain Morgan's purpose-built FLAGSHIP (see quoted section above) from 1669 and a participant in the Panama invasion/attack. Plus, that said ship was ACTUALLY NAMED "Black Pearl."

Is that claim accurate?

On that accuracy I hang trust in the seller as to the ship itself. If accurate, they honestly tried to recreate a real ship. If not, they are committing a fraud, intentionally malignant or not. They claim accuracy . . .