17th cet. Dutch cavalry

I think I found the horse outfit I really like, just about convinced my self to go for it. I was gonna do stick with 1790 colonial Spanish Missouri (I already got most of those toys from years of playin in it)but this is really what I'd like t do with my horse impression.

dutchcavalryrider.jpg

I'd haveta get rid of my other gear to pay for it though ;) .

Bo

P.S. THAT SHOULD READ [u]18th CENTURY[/u]!! How can I change the heading?

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

That should read 18th century, I cannot figure out how to change the heading, edit doesn't seem to work. It's supposed to be early 18th anyway, but I noticed the gunstock is wrong. Very wrong for that period. I like the jusatcorp though, those colors just "work" for me. I still can't do anything unless someone buys my vintage Kawasaki, or I sell off all my colonial gear. Blondie's Mounted Action Shooting is first up these days too, so I guess I'll just keep deaming for awhile longer.

Bo

That is very nice! And pretty doable, although I don't have the long gun, and my pistols are only replicas (non-firing). The coat and saddle pads I can make, and I already have a horse. Thanks for the post, Bo! If you find any more info on period cavalry, post it so we can all ck it out. :blink:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

How 'bout that armour!

My wife is a Dutch-girl, (Kuipers) and I am looking at making our family into a Dutch centered impression (although I am a complete mutt of 11 herbs and spices variety).

Someday that is, if I can keep them interested in continuing in the hobby.

Not being able to see the saddle is a problem, but I wonder if they are using Portugese or Spanish varieties? The Dutch and portugese had a pretty strong trade alliance most of the time. Any thoughts on this?

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

You can get Portuguese bullfighting saddles for fairly cheap, for saddles. Here are two on Ebay, but I've seen them for as little as $150-$200. If you google it, you'll find lots of places selling them.

Potruguese Saddle

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I've been looking at those for some time, I really like the brown/tan (natural) one for an overall saddle to be correct throughout most of the 18th century. They're still used today considerably as well. I have three English flat saddles, but my horse doesn't seem to perform well under them. I also have a Hillcrest Buena Vista that I really like but it is a later (early 19th cent.) design.

saddle007.jpg

Bo

• 4 months later...

OMG, I can't believe I did NOT see this before! Absolutely fantastic, Bo! I'm more than drooling. Selling it? If so, how much? What's the seat size? Bridge? etc.

I've a useless old English saddle that is sound just has a couple cosmetic issues that can be easily repaired by the skilled saddlery. Been trying to find a way to get rid of it near me. Not happening. No one where I am at fancies English as much as I do. I'm thinking about converting the saddle into something similar to those old Spanish war saddles. Or something along those lines if I can. I want to make it look rotten since I hope to be the Headless Horseman for Halloween and hope to get a life-size horse frame built. ::: Crossing fingers, swords, legs, lines, wires, paths, etc. ::::

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!