Lewis & Clark's Air Rifle

hurricane

I'd never seen this before. What an amazing invention. Particularly interesting how they used it to deter Indian attacks.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I'd never seen this before. What an amazing invention. Particularly interesting how they used it to deter Indian attacks.

As I remember, they were showing the air rifle off in public and an old lady got shot.

There was one on display at Fort Osage museum for many years. Originally the museum claimed it to be "the one" carried on the expedition, but later it was correctly identified as a later copy/version from the 1830's. I don't think that it's there anymore since they built a whole new structure and built new displays. I will have to look in April when I go to the CoHT gathering. I remember the story about a lady getting hit with a projectile during a demo though not any details.

Bo

I think the most amazing thing was the owner had to pump a bicycle style pum 1500 times to get the pressure. I wouldn't envy anyone having to do that.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I think the most amazing thing was the owner had to pump a bicycle style pum 1500 times to get the pressure. I wouldn't envy anyone having to do that.

First you had to screw the pump into a tree then you had to pump it 1500 times. Then you had to unscrew it from the tree.