Henry Morgan Ship Found?

Just thought I would share.

PANAMA CITY (AP) _ Archaeologists say six cannons recovered from

a river in Panama that could have belonged to legendary pirate

Henry Morgan are being studied and could eventually be displayed.

The group of Panamanian and foreign archaeologists say the

cannons were found at the mouth of Panama's Chagres River, the site

where Morgan's flagship, the Satisfaction, wrecked in 1671 while

carrying him and his pirates to raid Panama City.

The team said Monday that the size and shape of the pieces looks

very similar to the characteristics of small iron guns of the 17th

century.

The cannons were detected in 2008 and rescued in 2010.

The archaeological survey was coordinated by the Waitt Institute

with collaboration with Panama's National Culture Institute.

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Are there any links to pictures of the cannons? or informatioin somewhere out there in the web where they may be viewed?

PANAMA CITY (AP) _ Archaeologists say six cannons recovered from

a river in Panama that could have belonged to legendary pirate

Henry Morgan

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

You can see three of his cannon at Fort Charles in Port Royal. They were salvaged when he ran his ship aground at Ile a Vache (Cow Island).

The search for the cannon in the Chagres has been going on for some time. Morgan actually had sent three ships into the river before his own raid, then the Satisfaction. Three or four ships followed and were lost along with the Satisfaction. So it could be any one of the ships and I doubt Morgan really cared. He had a habit of losing ships, especially his flagships - he lost three all told to poor navigation and seamanship.

Here's one of the cannon being raised.

http://www.pasthorizons.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/raising.jpg

It's always nice to find remnants of the past, but I don't think it's anymore earthshaking than the ones sitting at Port Royal that have been traced to the Cow Island incident when he lost the Merchant.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

So if this is Morgan's ship it would make it the...what... fourth or fifth European pirate ship being excavated? After Bellamy's Whydah, Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge, and Kidd's Adventure Prize. It's always interesting to see what they bring up from the wrecks of pirate ships. They don't always carry gold and silver from their raids. And if this one was on its way to Panama, chances are there won't be much booty on the wreck.

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.

It was wrecked before he reached Panama. Without the ship's bell or a name tag with Henry Morgan on it, proving it was indeed his ship as opposed to the others that were wrecked is difficult at best. As I said, want to see his cannon? Go to Port Royal, walk through the gate, turn right, head to the wall. They're right there.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

So if this is Morgan's ship it would make it the...what... fourth or fifth European pirate ship being excavated? After Bellamy's Whydah, Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge, and Kidd's Adventure Prize. It's always interesting to see what they bring up from the wrecks of pirate ships. They don't always carry gold and silver from their raids. And if this one was on its way to Panama, chances are there won't be much booty on the wreck.

Don't forget Condent's Flying Dragon found just a few hundred yards from Kidd's Adventure Galley. It was found first, then Kidd's one (what they were looking for). Technically, the Dragon wasn't a ship, but a sloop.

The present list for 4 actual pirate ships/sloops (not including Morgan's privateer ones) found are, in general order of find:

Sam Bellamy's Whydah

Condent's Flying Dragon

William Kidd's Adventure Galley

(all three by the same guy/group)

Edward "Blackbeard" Teach's Queen Anne's Revenge

Morgan's sunken flagships would make 2 (3?) more.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

As representatives of the Pyrat community, we should demand these cannons be returned to us! Along with whatever shiny bits of metal that might be down there...

If I were younger, fitter, had the time and the money...or could get corporate sponsorship...recreating the March to Panama (Old City) is one of those things I'd like to do...(watch out for the snakes)

Damn, thats sharp!

As representatives of the Pyrat community, we should demand these cannons be returned to us! Along with whatever shiny bits of metal that might be down there...

If I were younger, fitter, had the time and the money...or could get corporate sponsorship...recreating the March to Panama (Old City) is one of those things I'd like to do...(watch out for the snakes)

Ha Ha! i'm right there with ya mate! I aggree we totally should!

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.