Leather Bound Logbooks

Jack Roberts

Great work I whas thinking of maybe do the same thing sometime.

Did you bind the pages yourself also?

I am plannimg to convert some more modern books into older looking ones to be able to have them laying around in the display...

But this conversioon wil only be putting a leather wrap around them...

gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

Yep you can easily convert "old" modern books with a leather binding.

Here is a good example on how. Rebinding a Modern NIV Bible

Thanks! They're not perfect though. The end pages are wrinkled and the leather is a little off on the inside corners.

DSCN3595.JPG

DSCN3621.JPG

Some minor tweaking is needed in my process but not a bad first try. I hope to get better at it the more I make them.

Indeed very nice! Great work! :) Larger than the ones I've been using. I've been cheating using a particular a smaller leather journal from Barnes and Noble. I like your books a lot. :) Large enough for a good ship's ledger/log/journal. :)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Excellent work, as usual FB. Hey, a question: what did you use to stiffen the cover? If it was some sort of cardboard/pasteboard, do you know the history of that bindery style? How far back does pasteboard go?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Jim!! Long time no see mate. That's a good question. I used modern day book board due to time restraints. (I still have about 3 months of log book to fill out now they're done.) I'm sure in the time period there was something to stiffen the hard backs. I'm just not clear as to what. It's on the list of research for next round of bindings when I'm not pressed for time.

What I have researched is telling me that the basic "methods" of binding that I used have been in play since the 1500's or so. The glue used in all the binding wheat paste. Just flour and water, that's it. It's amazing how well that holds up too. I'll post more as I find out. If you want I can write up a "how to" if people are interested. I just need a few more photos on the last stages of the process.