Blackbeard's cutlass found?

Diver's working on the QAR wrecksite pulled up part of a sword they believe to be Blackbeard's cutlass, it's primarily the handguard, with part of the blade, here's one of the arcticles about it:

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/49332/

Edited by Commodore Greyhound

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.

Aye, I heard this, too. I'm very curious to see this guilded hilt that be the claimed

possibly Blackbeard's sword.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I find it interesting the leap that the media has made.

The original National Geographic website posting says it was found on the ship..nothing about it being his.

Considering the time it took for the ship to be destroyed, and the fact that it was likely deliberately run aground...I'm sure he had time t' grab his sword!

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

While I don't doubt the fact that this wreck is probably that of the Queen Ann's Revenge, I seriously doubt that this is Blackbeard's sword, and even if it was, it was most likely not the one he used to fight with. With the historical accounts recording in detail the savage ferocity of the last fight that Blackbeard put up, it is highly unlikely that he would have used such a flimsy weapon. This was a type of decorative "dress" sword used by officers and gentlemen, and would not have withstood serious combat use. With that being said, the sword is beautiful none the less, and is definitely worthy of note as a relic which could indeed have come from Blackbeard's ship. It would be awesome to see it replicated...

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Iron Bess' thread

Can we merge these threads, oh great moderators?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

While I don't doubt the fact that this wreck is probably that of the Queen Ann's Revenge, I seriously doubt that this is Blackbeard's sword, and even if it was, it was most likely not the one he used to fight with. With the historical accounts recording in detail the savage ferocity of the last fight that Blackbeard put up, it is highly unlikely that he would have used such a flimsy weapon. This was a type of decorative "dress" sword used by officers and gentlemen, and would not have withstood serious combat use. With that being said, the sword is beautiful none the less, and is definitely worthy of note as a relic which could indeed have come from Blackbeard's ship. It would be awesome to see it replicated...

There have been a couple of arcticles written about this, one such theory states there could have been a reason he couldn't get it. Personally, the story is Black Beard shifted the best part of his plunder to the sloop Adventure and left, You wouldn't be able to bring up chests of treasure from the hold, and swing it over on the boom without the rest of his crew, or fleet, noticing. It's also possible that it was his, and was just a trophy sword or he wore it when on the town, There are some accounts of Blackbeard dressing in Gentleman's attire when on shore leave.

Edited by Commodore Greyhound

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.

You know, Blackbeard was not on Queen Anne's Revenge when he died. I expect that he transferred his personal effects including his weapons to the smaller ship when Queen Anne's Revenge ran aground.

Mark

As CaptianB said in another post:

"I agree with William on this. If the reports of Blackbeard's death are to be believed, Blackbeard died upon Lt. Maynard's ship, after fighting Maynard sword to sword. I would think that Blackbeard's sword would have been claimed as a prize by one of the surviving sailors under Maynard's command, if not given as a gift to Maynard himself."

The sword is probally out there ....... and the owner has no clue to what he has.....

Edited by peglegstrick