hair beads and non realistic garb

sorry i started a snow ball of doubting yer garb or making you people here look at yerselves in a different way, i am not judging any of u personly, i cant spell worth shit ,i am not perfect, i am fat ,have alot of tattoos, eye have earings and a shaved head ,eye wear bandanas to, and have 3 mastiffs that attend events with me, but we each have something here to enjoy the different topics and views of others and listen to ones opinions. eye enjoy stirring the pot,at times didnt think it would have the outcome it did, we all need to take responsabilty as SCA, REN faire enthusiasts, Civil War re-enactors, Buckskinners, Colonial militia re-enactors, disney lovers (all of us ) , fantasy faries, zombies, and any other groups and have fun but always looking at how we all think and have our own views of what pirates may or may not of had, the common thing that we all have here is that we all like to debate, and we all like history, including the pirates of the caribbean. i am looking forward to may 2011 new film,and the two for twos and the other games here on the pub, now lets get back to drinking blokes! Huzzah.plundering pylos parker.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm 1695, looks like the link provided by PoD clears up the earring debate. Ohh and look at the pretty little BEAD on it.

actually it looks more like a pearl ear pendant so not exactly your typical "gypsy" massive golden earrings that hollywood associate with pirates...havent seen many guys wearing those...

I always took it as being a pearl too. Infact the one that I made to wear at events is a pearl one. I forgot to take it out after though and got some funny looks on the Train home ;)

earring.jpg

Edited by PoD

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

Hmm 1695, looks like the link provided by PoD clears up the earring debate. Ohh and look at the pretty little BEAD on it.

Hmm, I think I'd interpret that as a pearl, or pearl-like bead (I think glass was used). Moonstone works. I seem to remember seeing artifact earrings like that somewhere in my travels. Will do some digging to see if I can find out where that was.

By the way Chrispy, isn't that Mission's hat?

Ok, I'll admit that my hat brim has gotten a little wobbly since Patrick Hand sold it to me, but it isn't quite that bad.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

actually it looks more like a pearl ear pendant so not exactly your typical "gypsy" massive golden earrings that hollywood associate with pirates...havent seen many guys wearing those...

I always took it as being a pearl too. Infact the one that I made to wear at events is a pearl one. I forgot to take it out after though and got some funny looks on the Train home ;)

earring.jpg

That's a pretty good interpretation! I've also cannibalized modern earring bits to come up with something similar. And you can find these being made now by vendors at events like Ft. Frederick's Market Faire (check out the trade blankets!). Here's the page for earrings by one of the ones I know (since I stink at taking pics of mine and putting them here, she's a good "stand-in")

http://www.historicdelights.com/pearlsandmore.htm

While it is possible to say that a sailor could have worn a earring back then, we are still far away from saying they were a trend or popular. We have three illustrations. These illustrations are all of Dutch sailors. Now compare that to all the other illustrations we have of other sailors and pirates from the period. Any earrings on them? No. These illustrations are still the exceptions rather than the rule. Heck, we don't even know what exactly these earrings are (to figure that out, I suggest that someone look up earrings in the East Indies, for I suspect that is where the earrings came from). If you go back to that thread I linked earlier on earrings, you would see that besides these illustrations, there is no other documentation for earrings yet found by others or myself. There are especially no writings that mention that sailors decided to wear them in any significant numbers. Furthermore, there is no evidence that pirates wore them either.

But I guess I can't stop anyone from wearing earrings at events if they want to. All I am saying is that if someone comes up and asks you if they really wore earrings back then, don't say that it was the norm, but rather that it was very exceptional and that it was most likely from visiting the East Indies. But also remember that even if only 1 out of 10 pirate reenactors were to wear a earring, it would still be over-representing the potential portion of sailors turned pirate that would have possibly worn a earring. Its a common thing in reenacting to see one thing be found and then be over popularized. From my American Civil War reenacting days, one good example is the fork-knife-spoon combo tool. While they were made during the war and sold at sutlers, the proportion of reenactors who carry those to those who don't result in a historical inaccuracy of over representing this item. Fads are a part of reenacting just like any other part of life I guess.

That's my two beads...err earrings... no, two cents worth ;)

But I guess I can't stop anyone from wearing earrings at events if they want to. All I am saying is that if someone comes up and asks you if they really wore earrings back then, don't say that it was the norm, but rather that it was very exceptional and that it was most likely from visiting the East Indies.

The real issue I have with earrings is not so much when people wear them - hell, if you look hard enough you'll find plenty of pictures of me wearing earrings in kit if I've forgotten to take them out or just couldn't be bothered that day. The issue is when people start trying to rationalize it: "Oh yeah, pirates wore earrings to improve their eyesight", or "...to pay for their funeral if they were washed overboards" etc etc etc.

Chrispy, I hope you don't think I was picking on you (I wasn't, honestly), I just think this whole thing about pirates being somehow different from other people is somewhat overblown. I'm not saying they weren't different, they must have had some aberrant streak to become pirates, but I don't see any evidence to say that they had some radically different lifestyle. The vast majority of pirates never came into life-changing riches, and many had incredibly short careers, measured in weeks rather than months or years.

I am, however, flattered at being called "professor", and while my English modesty makes me shun such a title, I do secretly hope that others will pick it up and I'll be saddled with a new nickname... ;)

Sutlerjon, is the fact that we can't completely recreate the past any reason not to try to do our best with the aspects we can manage (if that is our chosen course of piracy)?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Wait...in normal life, Professor Foxe has an earring?! ;) A momento from your mis-spent youth? ;);)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

My tuppence worth.

Pirates were like any other other criminal. Look at the mob or any gang these days. It is not always easy to spot the members yet there are some that you look at and say "now there is a criminal". I would guess that in a time when the general public wanted to conform to the average or emulate their betters a successful (a.k.a. not dead) criminal would prefer to blend in. Yes there would be the exception when someone would want to emulate the criminal. As recently as the 1960's, if memory serves me, society was just getting use to the idea that it is okay to be different. I imagine that it would have been even more conformist 200 years ago. They don't call it a revolution for nothing.

Either way I am not an anthropologist and I don't have any documentation. This is all conjecture and this is Twill and maybe I should just sit down and shut up.

Sitting down.

I was just reading this article in the National Geographic about Blackbeard that let me to another one "Grim Life Cursed Real Pirates of Caribbean" and in there they mention earrings _;)

"Some pirates even wore earrings, not as a fashion statement, but because they believed they prevented sea sickness by applying pressure on the earlobes."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/07/0711_030711_piratescarribean_2.html

And I leave that to you educated and wise to comment....all I know is (don't laugh) my mom use to say that the only man with earring were Italian sailormen from Calabria ( I know is funny and you don't want to know the rest of it);)

Gypsy_Dance_by_depplosion.jpgicon20tarotcardpoker-1.jpg

i will show up at pirate faires now with, small pox, scurvy, no earings, leave my hair tie at home, not brang my beads with me for trade, hang up my frock coat back into the closet, wipe up my eye liner and makeup off my face, wear my very small buckles on my shoes , take off my character face and disneyland outfit, and come to events. WOW i would feel out of place, it wouldnt have the same feeling at an event , maybe i need to find another hobby. see you all at the pirate faires lets enjoy each other for who we are, i learned a valuable lesson here not to critisize other folks, but rather listen to ones views, and maybe we can compromise on how to enjoy the festivals more. now i will sit back and start my new outfit.

Good for you. When at pirate festivals I will not have pox or scurvy or any other ailment other than being over weight and feeling older than I wish I did. My character is a woman of means since she is a woman of "girth". She will be of the merchant class therefore comfortable with lower and middle class folks and when the public goes home she will take a shower and put on her comfy slippers. See you at the festival.

Now back to the discussion. Being a woman of means I can on occasion wear earrings. hehe

Good for you. When at pirate festivals I will not have pox or scurvy or any other ailment other than being over weight and feeling older than I wish I did. My character is a woman of means since she is a woman of "girth". She will be of the merchant class therefore comfortable with lower and middle class folks and when the public goes home she will take a shower and put on her comfy slippers. See you at the festival.

Now back to the discussion. Being a woman of means I can on occasion wear earrings. hehe

Yay, girlie bling! Gotta love being affluent biggrin.gifAnd the fact that you're an adult means you were well nourished and strong enough to survive a lot of illnesses as a child. What you might not have is all your teeth, and the potential lack of fiber if you just eat meat and fine white bread, could be a problem. Oh, and you can be a candidate for gout, since you can afford the good stuffwink.gif What an excuse to hang out in camp with your feet on a cushioned stool laugh.gif

i will show up at pirate faires now with, small pox, scurvy, no earings, leave my hair tie at home, not brang my beads with me for trade, hang up my frock coat back into the closet, wipe up my eye liner and makeup off my face, wear my very small buckles on my shoes , take off my character face and disneyland outfit, and come to events. WOW i would feel out of place, it wouldnt have the same feeling at an event , maybe i need to find another hobby. see you all at the pirate faires lets enjoy each other for who we are, i learned a valuable lesson here not to critisize other folks, but rather listen to ones views, and maybe we can compromise on how to enjoy the festivals more. now i will sit back and start my new outfit.

Don't forget to walk around barefoot in a barnyard this summer, so you can have an authentic case of worms for Mission to cure. Oh, pulling a few teeth wouldn't hurt your authentic look, either, and removing any fillings is an option. And you can't get smallpox, you've been inoculated.

I am, however, flattered at being called "professor", and while my English modesty makes me shun such a title, I do secretly hope that others will pick it up and I'll be saddled with a new nickname... ;)

Great, now a battle starts on this site to see who will be the Skipper, Gilligan and the rest. ;)

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I am, however, flattered at being called "professor", and while my English modesty makes me shun such a title, I do secretly hope that others will pick it up and I'll be saddled with a new nickname... :huh:

Great, now a battle starts on this site to see who will be the Skipper, Gilligan and the rest. :blink:

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I think Ginger might already be claimed, isn't there already a tall redhead 'round here?

This thread has been a fun read..Whoo whoo !

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Thanks Chrispy, I didn't notice the difference in the crown of the hat.

Apologies to all.

The fine print,

None of the comments in this post are meant to be taken seriously, any attempt to do so may result in brain injury. I will not be held responsible for any such injuries sustained by anyone who refuses to see the humor inherent. Damn, I wish there a font for "Sarcastic"

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net