Gonna build me a pirate's chest!

Beowoulf

How about a sea chest like the one Edward made for William (New Sea Chest by Edward O'Keefe) unless you have your heart set on the treasure chest look.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Plans are available from Marlin Spike.com .. Building a Chest from those plans

looks very close to Edwards and is more to period than a hump back chest. Don't get me wrong about Hump Back chest, Eye think they are elegant in style.

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I have a treasure chest in my house. I thought about building the other, but no one visiting would be as entranced by it. If you're building it for display, a classic treasure chest can't be beat, especially with treasure spilling out of it. If you're planning to haul it around, then a sea chest is the better choice, since it's what would have been used on a daily basis by men of the sea.

All depends what you want to do. I certainly know that the people living in the apartment below me at the time loved the construction process. I think they especially enjoyed the sabre saw period, long before the electric drill and hammers. I know Diosa did. :blink:

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

A "real" treasure chest would actually have to be rather small. The popular conception of a couple of pirates carrying one of those big hump-backed chests overflowing with gold would be impossible. Gold is actually heavier than lead, and one of those huge ones full of treasure would require a fork-lift to carry it, and would likely burst open from the weight of the gold, or the bottom would fall out.

>>>>> Cascabel

need more info- how big are you looking at, made of what type of wood, finish, shelves or tills? type of hardware, define reasonable price.

edit* the latest issue of wooden boat had a story of and reproduction of a 16th century tool chest made from six boards harvested from the same log. its on my to do list now..... just after i finish this darned boat

Well the plans are no longer available From me.

Eye will be mailing them to some early bird who got the worm ~

BTW , Eye have progress pics of the construction of mine

in the picture Gallery ~ Good Luck !

Edited by oderlesseye

Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

I wanna buy a 4 wheel trailer like Iron Jon's or Crudbeard's and haul a whole beach encampment around with me and set it up just like those two do (my HEROES!!! lololol) I am goin' for it! I am serious. I have snapped. (Been looking at trailer prices! Also gonna start buying cannons .... gonna give Crudbeard a run for his money! ;-)

Anyway, I ain't carryin' around no sea chest from ship to ship .. never have, never will, I imagine. I want a big, honkin' chest that SCREAMS PIRATE!!! Maybe 5 or 6 of 'em!

Now fellas ( and fell... uhm .. fell... what would be the feminine of fella??) .. anyway, now fellas .. I know I have said this before and it probably irks you to have me say it again, but ... period stuff is just BORING! BOR-ING...

I was looking at some of the camp shots I took - especially the clothing - and it dawned on me: much of this clothing just makes the people look like plain ol' everyday simple countryfolk of the period - tricorn hats, baggy shirts, dresses, bodices, pants, "pilgrim" shoes ... yup, yup, yup .... The question came to me, what distinguishes these people as PIRATES? Were we so obviously piratical that if we had flown an early American flag over the camp, visitors would have asked, "Why are these PIRATES flying a colonial America flag??"

(BTW! I was looking at all the pics I took of the camp and of various groups at FTPI. I have been editing out all the trash cans, green trash bags, pepsi bottles, HYDRATION bottles - christ, how did we EVER live before HYDRATION bottles!! - generators, baby strollers, cigarettes, Tiparillos, pickle jars, etc., etc., etc. For a period correct camp, you guys sure give a PhotoShopper like myself a lot of editing work! I guess a better photographer, though, would have set himself up in a way not to get those things in the picture, huh?)

So, don't get all indignant and start flaming me - or flame me in some highbrow way in an effort to disguise an emotional reaction - I am a noobie, sharing noobie thoughts, observations, and questions. Pls allow me the luxury of enjoying my rightful days of blissful ignorance.

P.S. You are stuck with me now! Never feed a stray cat!

Edited by Beowoulf

Deep Breaths! Take several deep breaths! It's only Pirate fever, we have all had it, and we're here to help. (whispers somone fetch the gibbet)

Edited by Cannibal Chrispy

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

step away from the trailer, slowly...... nothing to see here...... (everyone keep calm, he'll settle down....shhhhh) snicker- he ain't met me gracey yet..... now thats a camp of luxury queen size airbed, air conditioning..... ahhhh

step away from the trailer, slowly...... nothing to see here...... (everyone keep calm, he'll settle down....shhhhh) snicker- he ain't met me gracey yet..... now thats a camp of luxury queen size airbed, air conditioning..... ahhhh

I want a big, honkin' chest that SCREAMSPIRATE!!! Maybe 5 or 6 of 'em!

I loved your spirited post!

Well Auhh Gee ..Maybe Eye can sell you this one from my pirate cove. Just add more Iron pretties.

IT IS BIG & HONKIN ~ AHHH Eye think we need a Bigger Trailer!

And You can fit 3 dead bodies in it plus your Cooler! Eagh eagh ~

IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

Edited by oderlesseye

Noquarter2copy.jpg

HOLY COW!!! Now THAT is a chest!!!!!! Where do you have this set up?

I want a big, honkin' chest that SCREAMSPIRATE!!! Maybe 5 or 6 of 'em!

I loved your spirited post!

Well Auhh Gee ..Maybe Eye can sell you this one from my pirate cove. Just add more Iron pretties.

IT IS BIG & HONKIN ~ AHHH Eye think we need a Bigger Trailer!

And You can fit 3 dead bodies in it plus your Cooler! Eagh eagh ~

IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

Well,we are kindred spirits now, aren't we Beowoulf? I had the same problem. I pulled off period re-enactment and lived life "behind the ropes" and didn't care for it one little bit. I always felt like someone needed to hang a sign on the rope that said, "Please do not feed the re-enactors." My personality is way too big to rein it in and make it period and I really didn't like feeling like I was a display in a museum. Before anyone chimes in, let it be known that I marvel at those who do it and some do it amazingly well, it just wasn't me.

I am reminded what Cascabel once told me, and I paraphrase... "What's the purpose of being proper pirate if no one knows you are one?"

There will be those who slam your interpretation, but you have to do what interests you, what jazzes you. And if you can't be behind the ropes, trust me, it's not all that bad.

While FTPI is strict (although I don't know how a vendor selling fur lined manacles is exactly period) :P , you're always welcome at Pirates in Paradise, where everything goes. At least in Florida, the same is true for most of the festivals. Only FTPI and St. Augustine's Searles and Drakes are period correct. Everything else is wide open. And this is true all over the country.

As others have said, it's a big world and there's lots of room for all of us. There is no right or wrong. Just figure out what you enjoy and plan accordingly. It's all good!

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

The third on from the bottom is Alexander Selkirk's chest. It is the only extant sailor's chest reliably dated before 1720. Selkirk was also the model upon which Robinson Crusoe was based. If you want a chest with a story, you can't go wrong recreating that one.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

For fun I like the one from popular mech, would make a nice chest if I sized it right to hold all my arms for selling when I travel. I uploaded a few pictures I had on my computer heres a sampling.

gallery_6250_408_27342.jpg

gallery_6250_408_37060.jpg

gallery_6250_408_9382.jpg

gallery_6250_408_31148.jpg

gallery_6250_408_116.jpg

gallery_6250_408_36472.jpg

I would love to make one like this for my charges when firing the cannon

gallery_6250_408_50675.jpg

The chest that has the key in the top was shown on Pawn Stars recently. It turned out he had a real one and it even had a bullet hole in it. I think the expert in historical stuff valued it at $10,000. I might be wrong but I know it was worth a lot.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Now fellas ( and fell... uhm .. fell... what would be the feminine of fella??) .. anyway, now fellas .. I know I have said this before and it probably irks you to have me say it again, but ... period stuff is just BORING! BOR-ING...

I was looking at some of the camp shots I took - especially the clothing - and it dawned on me: much of this clothing just makes the people look like plain ol' everyday simple countryfolk of the period - tricorn hats, baggy shirts, dresses, bodices, pants, "pilgrim" shoes ... yup, yup, yup .... The question came to me, what distinguishes these people as PIRATES? Were we so obviously piratical that if we had flown an early American flag over the camp, visitors would have asked, "Why are these PIRATES flying a colonial America flag??"

Well the simple answer to this is...weapons! Same applied to the the 1920s and AlCapones era. How do you know this guy is a bad guy...because is pointing a gun at you!

Eye saw a chest like this one on Pawn Stars..for Five Grand.. Eye so wanted to drive to Vegas for it

But if Eye bought it. ,Wot would Eye have left to put in it?

gallery_6250_408_50675.jpg

Noquarter2copy.jpg

Cuisto! I was gonna say the same thing! Based on the only book on pirates I've read so far (Under the Black Flag), pirates were armed to the teeth - though probably not generally sailing around the oceans. tongue.gif Good Americans in the making! lolol

Now! Get a load of the chests here!

None of them proper period, I would guess, but amazing nevertheless.

Of course, they ship from Oregon ... the complete other side of the country to where I would have them shipped (Maine). mad.gif

http://www.woodchest...px?CategoryID=1