POTC works it's magic on a children's orchestra!!!

TalesOfTheSevenSeas

I had to share this story with all of you.

My violin teacher also teaches a children's orchestra in one of the local schools. After I showed her a copy of the POTC sheet music for violin, she asked if the entire score could be purchased. I found it for her and she asked the kids if they'd like to do Pirates of the Caribbean. The kids were very enthusiastic about the idea, and so she purchased the score.

Tonight, she told me that she couldn't believe the difference in the kids since they started POTC. "They are all practicing!!" she said "I can't believe it!!"

These kids are so psyched about playing the music, from what she tells me it is just amazing the difference that POTC has made. They love it!!

Is that cool or what?!! Harry Potter got kids to love reading, and POTC made at least one little school full of kids learn to love to play. There are times when it is really great to be a pirate when you hear a story like that!

Which gets me to thinking.... maybe when they perform it we could arrange a pirate sword fight to take place while they play!!!

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

What pirate wouldn't want to sword fight with the POTC being played in the background for an audience? However, I can think of a problem. If I were a kid and someone was sword fighting in front of me dressed like a pirate....well, me mind wouldn't be on me playing the intstrument. :ph34r:

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

Arrr! That be fine story, Quill.

The Pacific Symphony here in Southern California recently had a "Space Music Concert" where children were invited to attend a concert of music from space movies - featuring Star Wars, o'course.

The orchestra members greeted the children and talked about their different instruments before the concert. Then, the kids and families got to listen to the concert in the theater.

Of course our local Star Wars groups were there in costume to lend some "color" to the event. From what I heard, it was a hit.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

I have to agree with endkaos, that if I were in the position to watch a sword fight of play my instrument I'd definitly be doing a fair amont o' watchin. Maybe the kids could dress up as pirates to play the score though, that might be fun.

One o' the things I liked about the POTC score is the way they choreographed the sword fights to the beat of the music, so that the swords clanged in time to the score. I don't remember noticin' that in any other pirate movie. It would be fun to duplicate that with swordplay in front of an orchestra.

:ph34r:

Yah bein a music teacher meself (I do band for 4th and 5th graders) its neat to see kids enthusiasm about pieces. I can imagine for an orchestra, POTC would be an awesome one to learn. I have seen arrangements for band but I think they be for highschool (too hard for my younger crew). I did order a song for my level, for next year, called Captains of Adventure, so hopefully that be a fun sea-goin one too. :ph34r:

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

• 1 month later...

I can vouch fer the truth in tha' story, bein' a lapsed pianist meself. I got the piano music fer POTC and am now fallen back into the practicing.

Only thing is, me small hands can't do the ten note spreads in some of the songs :lol: