'Nother Newbie

peglegstrick

Joined up weeks ago....Lurked even longer. Old reenactor (Civil War Confederate Trooper)....Lost left leg in a motorcycle accident. Figured I'd try my hands & one good leg at Pirate reenacting.

Would appriciate any advice on Garb, weapons...etc. Golden age to start with but need advice for earler also.

PegLeg Strick

tn_gallery_11477_388_2058.jpg

An honest to God peg leg?! Very cool. Welcome!

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

As an infamous pyrate reenactor once said,"Pyracy is the one reenacting venue in which the loss of a limb is not necessarily a detriment to your character portrayal."

Welcome aboard to the rest of you.

Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

As an infamous pyrate reenactor once said,"Pyracy is the one reenacting venue in which the loss of a limb is not necessarily a detriment to your character portrayal."

Welcome aboard to the rest of you.

Jim

Yeah, but he didn't follow up on that statement. :lol:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

So I was able to dodge the alligators. That's the thing with 'gators: you can never trust them to just take a leg. They have a tendency to get greedy. Just ask Capt. Hook!

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

So I was able to dodge the alligators. That's the thing with 'gators: you can never trust them to just take a leg. They have a tendency to get greedy. Just ask Capt. Hook!

I had nothing to do with the incident, wasn't thar, can't prove... huh!

Oops, sorry it be the other 'Hook' ye means.

Welcome aboard Mister Pegleg!

Jas. Hook :lol:

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

The first thing ye want to decide is How accurate you want to be. The next is when and where you're active as a pirate, the Caribbean in mid 1600s Madagascar waters in the late 1600s or the Caribbean in early 1700s. Once you have decided that, you've got your guidlines for accoutrements, ship class, pirate haven and depending on historical events and your own preference, backstory and adventures. Me for example, I got to see the best parts out of the Golden Age. I began my carreer on a buccaneer out of Jamaica and Tortuga in the 1660s, then chased down the indiamen and Mogul treasure ships in the 1670s, and finished up with the Pyrate Round between the Indian ocean and Caribbean in the 1680s. I'm an amature scholer when it comes to this, as I'm sure many other members of the forum are, so we'll help ye out mate.

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.

Welcome to th' fine establishment known as th' Pyracy Pub. Glad ye joined us. Not that ye be press ganged, aye?

Anyways, by all means... pester th' devil out of us. We'd be delighted t' assist and answer yo'r questions. With many answers if ye don't mind.

Commodore Greyhound be on th' right track there. It's all about what type of pirate ye wish to portray. How in depth ye wish to get. What ye view as pirate.

You can go with historically correct which is reflecting the time period with replicated items and moments. You can go with fictional or Hollywood as most call it which is slightly historical looking but with some fabrication to it mostly from the movies watched and novels one has read. There is also fantasy pirate which is more how you view pirates with whatever you deem looks piratey enough. There is pop culture (think hot topics). There is more fantasy like space pirates. Ancient pirates. Modern pirates. Hodgepodge (like the teen kids just tossing together a quick costume from a trenchcoat and boots with cut off jeans and some costume hat or a generic costume). That's just for starters.

Check out the Twill for helpful hints on historical info on piracy. This is most helpful for if you want to portray the historical side of piracy.

Further, look under Pyrate Craft for creating attire and even items.

Thieves Market is a good place to start if you are looking for a place to find what you need for your pirate persona. There is a list of vendors that have some well recommended items.

Plus... feel free to ask any time. Just like ye did here. Many of us can help and recommend, offer advice or assistance, etc.

Oh and... lovin' th' leg! :D The peg leg. Ye can pull off a Long John Silver perfectly! ;) I honestly haven't seen anyone portray said legendary fictional pirate.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Ahoy Pegleg! Ye fer sure have the leg fer piratin'!

Well- 'tis up t' you mate- what kind o' pirate ye want t' be portrayin! Seems t' me ye have yer pick..you'll find a bit o' everything here..and a finer bunch o' scallywags ne'er be found!

But 'twas I- as Lady B says -I'd be givin' a Long John Silver impersonation a try!

Oi! An' welcome t' the pub! Allow me to let you buy me an ale and a meatpie!

Edited by Gunpowder Gertie
BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

welcome aboard mate!

You can't go wrong with a period linen shirt, a pair of slops/breeches, and proper shoes.

You can build on that for most any impression. There are lots of links on Garb here, especially in the sewing topics.

Wait on the weapons til ye get a feel for them, ye can work a cannon and people lend weapons if you're nice!

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Your Leg also puts you in a unique position of having the option to portray the literary Classic Long John Silver. You rarely see a Long John Silver because not many pirate enthusiasts are missing a leg. I knew of only one, his name was Captain Shark the pirate king, rest his soul, and he sometimes dressed as Ol' Long John at gigs for schools.

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.

I agree with William. Portray a pirate of your own devise, one that reflects a lot of you, and save Long John for story day at the Library.

3ff66f1f.jpg

Ah William the voice of reason every time... couldn't agree more. And welcome to the pub. Good to have ye about.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I know that Long John Silver was missing a leg ....

but did'nt he use a crutch instead of a peg?

.......Just wondering

Correct. He used a crutch most of the time. When on the ship he used hand-holds and carried is crutch hung from a loop around his neck.

BTW, it was common for a sailor who had lost a limb to take a job as a ship's cook which is what Silver signed up as.

Mark

Ditto with William.

I do bow to your strength and courage. I noticed you earlier and took a peek at your pics and such. It is nice to see that there are still wonderful people in the world who are willing and able to turn lemons into lemonade, instead of the other way around (although how you make a lemon from lemonade, I don't know but it sounded fine in my head).

You are a rare treasure indeed and I am happy to see you here.

Welcome aboard and may we get the chance to meet in person some day.

Yours, Christina

AKA Captain Charity Ann Rackham

Charity Ann Rackham

Captain of the Jade Dragon

Admiral of the Rackham Fleet

British Columbia, Canada

FaceBook (Christina Carr AKA Charity Ann Rackham - as well as a Jade Dragon Pirates page)

Myspace (carrhunger is the personal one and Jadedragonpirates is the other)

BCRF page is: http://www.bcrenfest.com

Jade Dragon: http://www.jadedragonpirates.com

May our ships pass peacefully in the night. Note I say nothing of the day.

JDpyracy150.jpg

Thanks again for all th' kind words Mates, This be the best crew of any forms I've landed on as of yet.

I just 'ope that as I aquire me garb & such that I be as accurate as I can be for the GOP time frame.....

Any advice will be appriciated mightely..............