Logbooks

Jack Roberts

There is this guy in the midwest (link to his web page) who makes period correct bibles and other books, his work is brilliant and carried y a lot of other sutlers (like 96 District Storehouse, etc.). I believe he is willing to do custom work as well, although craftsmanship of that type does not come cheap. I have seen his setup at the "Faire at New Boston" 18th century trade fair in western Ohio, and can say from first hand sight, his work is awesome! I imagine he could do a blank log book for someone, and then you could write in it yourself. This guy (from what I have seen) not only reproduces period style books bound in the traditional method, he uses reproduction tools to do it!

Michael_banner.jpg

As stated above, I have held his bibles and other books and he does amazing work!!

I remember reading somewhere that ships/Captains logs were bound in lead somehow, so they could be tossed overboard to prevent capture......I cannot remember the source though.....

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

The lead covered logbooks were mostly military with codes, etc. If capture looked certain, over they'd go. As for dimensions of historic logbooks I would contact the Library at Mystic Seaport Museum in Mystic, CT. www.mysticseaportmuseum.org . They have an amazing Library. There's also the Peabody-Essex Museum in Salem, MA. An antique bookseller from up that way is Ten Pound Island Books. They may be a good source as well.

go to the national maritime museum (nmm) they have a wealth of informantion on log books the sizes are given in "mm" if you have never searched their site you are in for a treat. how to make 17th century books, google a good book binding site. go for it

Silver are you refering to the UK's NMM? Was on there earlier and was having trouble searching. Perhaps I need to try harder.

I was on there this morning and couldnt find them in the collections search either

Theres a really good book that for the most part is the log of a 1700 ship. It's called "The Forgotten Trade by Nigel Tattersfield"

Edited by PoD

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

i got there through the (nmm). here is a shortcut, google "national archives" select the one for "official archives of the uk gov. once there search "ship log book" then select for the list "royal naval museum portsmouth admiralty lib." then select "link to scanned list" you should see a pdf "gb 1070 from the royal naval museum" hope this helps.

The Peabody-Essex Museum was started by the families that owned the East India Trading Co. The beginning of foreign trade for our Nation. They began with the start of the 18th Century and have the collection of Logbooks from those early members of that Trade. The Customs House hasn't changed since built nor Derby Wharf across the street.

If you're interested in American Shipping and Commerce of that era, I would give this museum a try. If a better contact is desired, let me know.

• 1 month later...

i got there through the (nmm). here is a shortcut, google "national archives" select the one for "official archives of the uk gov. once there search "ship log book" then select for the list "royal naval museum portsmouth admiralty lib." then select "link to scanned list" you should see a pdf "gb 1070 from the royal naval museum" hope this helps.

Cheers mate just found it. I was on the completely wrong website ha ha

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...