At The Sign Of The White Rose at FTPI

Hawkyns

At The Sign Of The White Rose will be at the Fort Taylor Pirate Invasion, in the fort. We'll have shirts, slops, coats, belts, baldrics and assorted leather gear. I've also made up some one of a kind cutlasses. So whether you are camped in the fort or staying elsewhere in Key West, come see us and get yourself ready for the festivities!

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Hey there Mr. Hawkyns!

I bought a couple of belts and a baldric off of Ebay cuz they had exact replica POTC buckles. Paid me a small fortune, I did. They arrived and I was MORTIFIED! Buckles were supposedly brass, but man ... brass ain't like it USED to be! Had I just bought the buckles, the price would not have been bad at all, but I thought, "Oh, what the heck! Go for broke! Get the leathers too!" Like I said, COST A FORTUNE.

Now ... the point .. the leathers would have been laughable had I not paid so much for them. (In fact, my friend got a GOOD laugh, when he heard what I paid!) In the letter back to the seller (where I tore him a new you-know-what), I told him that his Hong Kong craftsmen needed to take a trip to TEXAS to see what real leather looked like!!!! The baldric is probably the least offensive, but I expect the belts to just tear off of me during PiP.

Perhaps you could help me rectify the leather situation? (lol just what I need! Let's add even MORE money on to these items!)

Guess I should send you the dimensions, huh?

Good Morning, Beowoulf.

It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like it may be reprocessed leather, or some very thin splits. Either way, I'm not seeing any natural topgrain, just artificial finish.

Let me know what you are looking for in terms of sizes. Width of buckles, length of belt and baldric, etc. I will be bringing tools and raw leather, so I'll be able to work on pieces on site, as well as repairs for people.

Hawkyns

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Thanks James!!!! :P

Hawkyns

rod_21.jpg

Not that any is needed,

but this is a gladly offered,

unsolicited testimonial

to the quality of workmanship,

service and product received

from At The Sign Of The White Rose.

Y.M.H.S.

QMJ

Seconded... I think I have bought something (or had something bought for me) from Hawkyns every time I have been at the same event as him with his sutlery.

Michael_banner.jpg

I need to stop in and see you. I have been looking for a new belt. I love the one the Jekyll the Hidesmith made me some years ago, but want to have a second belt as well. We'll talk.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I need to stop in and see you. I have been looking for a new belt. I love the one the Jekyll the Hidesmith made me some years ago, but want to have a second belt as well. We'll talk.

No problem. I've got some plain belts and sword belts already made up, and I'm bringing leather and supplies to make more.

Michael, I've got 4 cutlasses in stock, including the one I just finished with a shell guard and horn grip. :D

Hawkyns

rod_21.jpg

Dimensions:

The belt in the 1st pic is just a HINT short of 2.5 inches wide. Given the play of the belt on the buckle, 2.5" should work fine.

Now ... length .... I wear a size forty belt. The leather on THIS one is presently 60" long. The belt will be going over a shirt, leather jerkin, and 2 sashes, so can we be prepared with a belt blank longer than 60"? Dark leather would be nice.

Belt #2 (the light colored one) is 2.5 inches wide and 54" long. THIS belt will be going over a shirt, leather jerkin, 2 sashed AND will cross(diagonnaly) Belt #1 above. The light color of THIS belt is the same color as the second belt Jack Sparrow wore. Also, you will note that the buckle is much wider than the belt. This buckle could easily hold a 3.25 inch wide belt. But, if you check out pics of Sparrow, sure enough, his belt is way undersized for this buckle. I wonder why? Anyway, I think this lighter colored belt will need to be longer. As for the color .. maybe I should stay with "light" for variety? Also, I can't decide if I should get a belt width that will fill the whole buckle, or stay with the "Jack Sparrow" 2.5". I am SO bad with these decisions! (I am open to suggestions from you and the group!)

Now, the baldric: 2 3/16" wide. I am 6'2" and have a long torso (take a "long" in a sport coat). I also "tend toward the gut" (as John Wayne said to one of the kids in The Cowboys). As I said above, this is the least offensive of the leathers. Not sure what all of this could end up costing, but if I HAD to, I could live with the baldric.

what are your prices on cutlass master hawkyns? ...........i am.....in the market as it were........and have you any pictures?.......

They start at 70 for a basic short cutlass with scabbard and baldric, up to 150 for the fancy with the horn and shellguard hilt, with scabbard. I also have a couple of court swords for the captains and gentlemen among us.

Hawkyns

rod_21.jpg

Sorry, no pictures. I'm a luddite when it comes to this stuff. Since I leave for PiP in 36 hours (making 3 stops on the way down), I won't have time to get tech help in.

Hawkyns.

rod_21.jpg

No problem, Beowoulf. I'll bring leather and dye and we'll see what we can do. I cut belts to size so as long as I have a long enough hide, we should be fine.

I'll be there at opening bell, 8am on Thursday, so look me up.

Hawkyns

rod_21.jpg

Ooooo.... :: drools::: Beowoulf... where on earth did ye get those?!? I'm eyein' the Barbossa belt more than I am the Jack Sparrow items.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!