Need some Direction

lmowery

Hello Everyone!

I'm completely new to the site and somewhat to the world of pyracy.

It's something that has always interested me and the fact that I am planning on marrying a pyrate in the near future; I thought I'd better get my act together.

He said this was the place to go to get tips and to get an idea on where to start.

But to be honest, my pyrate is a bit of a history buff; so to ask him for help, other then the address to this site, is a bit intimidating.

:unsure: I feel a bit lost and overwhelmed on where to begin ; so if anyone is up to help school a complete newbie on where to start I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch!

L

Lady L -

Welcome aboard!

First off I'd skewer the bugger for not being more helpful to ye. Ta' find a lass interested in the sweet trade is its own treasure.

Second spend some time reading the topics posted in the Pub to get a flavor of what we're about.

Think about a period persona for yourself... how would you like to fit in, a lady, wench, pirate queen, tavern keeper, dockside shopkeeper, tradeswoman, seaman's wife or a smugglers daughter.

Consider attending a pirate event... talk with the folks there. In spite of their pirate demeanor they're really nice folks.

Pickup some books on piracy and become a bit o' a history buff yer'self.

Ask more questions. :rolleyes:

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

It sort of depends on what you're looking for - like anything, the topic of piracy is pretty broad. Are you after info on history or how to go about re-enacting?

If it's history, Cordingly's Under the Black Flag is a nice general book on the subject to start with.

If it's re-enacting...well, there again it's a broad topic. Do you want to learn to make clothes or just find out what to wear? Are you interested in weapons? Probably your best bet is to find the forum here that matches your interest and start skimming the topics until you find one that matches your specific interest(s). Don't be afraid to dig past the first dozen topics...many of the regulars here have already discussed certain points to death (and back from it in many cases) and moved on to new topics. So that which you seek may be buried on the second or third page of forum history.

Or you could just throw your question out there on the appropriate forum and see what response you get. For the most part, people don't roll their eyes at a question and sniff, even if it's already been discussed. (In fact, they often respond and diverge into interesting new sub-discussions that hadn't occurred the last time it was discussed.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

if indeed your interested in the reenacting side of it, you may want to give http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/ a try, it was one of the most helpful sites when i started out! and if hes even more of a history buff then http://www.bonaventu...atemythtory.htm might be a good place as well for some information, that may not quite fit in with most peoples views...........but are based in factual evidence. hope those are of some help to yee.........

Yours &co

Isrl. Cross

Edited by Bos'n Cross

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

Welcome aboard!

Are you interested more in writing about piracy deeds and swashbuckling adventures? If yes, then join any of the games linked in my signature, depending on the athmosphere and time setting you like!

We have a resources link page too.

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

Hehehe... as Cascabel said. :o And Hook.

First off lass.... BREATHE!!! Aye, it's a bit overwhelming. And ye do NOT have t' have THE PERFECT Pirate outfit right away within a week or two. Nay,... progress towards it. Get yo'r bearings on what yo'r persona will be and what ye'll be portrayin'. What's thy Fiancee portrayin'? Do ye want t' match him in attire? Or be a Lady/Gentlewoman of good standing? Historical pirate, fun fantasy pirate, etc?

Twill is one area to look for historical info. But if ye want clothes, check out the Sewing Room under Pyrate Craft. This is a GREAT place t' start for clothing ideas really. There are PLENTY of pirates on here who are masters with the needle and thread, too. Anyone can point ye in th' right direction of stores out there with piratey enough attire as well.

But as I said... pick out if you will be a pirate or a Lady. Historical or fantasy. Then... move on from there. And do NOT hesitate to change around your outfit. By all means, feel free to do so! The more you shake up the outfit, the better. :o Have more than one outfit in due time. :o

And feel free to ask questions. :o

Happy hunting!

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

But to be honest, my pyrate is a bit of a history buff; so to ask him for help, other then the address to this site, is a bit intimidating.

History Buff Ya say......I think you'll find most of here are History Buffs......I've never met one that wasn't willin' ta share everthin' he knows without the askin'....

Anyways....welcome to the world of Pyracy...it's a fun ride....and you'll meet some nice folks willin' ta help ya all they kin...Under the Black Flag, as stated is a great start, I still liked Disney's Treasure Island. There's lots of fun and Historical information out there.....As I said afore...Welcome Aboard and Enjoy the Ride and the new friends you'll meet....

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins