Me tankard needs fillin'

Beowoulf

Hey pirates,

55 year old male and just recently stumbled onto the exciting world of nut cases who "do pirates." To think I have been unaware that there really WAS a place for me all these years! And to have come to it so late in life!

I'm originally from Maine but have been marooned in Montreal, Quebec for 7 years. Not only are there no pirates in Montreal, they dont even speak English!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anwyay, I am in the process of spending a small fortune putting together a pirate look that befits a giant like myself: 6'3", 270 lbs, 52" chest, 40" waist, size EIGHT hat .... (Try and find a size eight hat!!! But! I do have Capt. Jack custom making me one now... Good ol' Jackie....)

I am will to spend $$$ to go to pirate gatherings. Looks like there is a good one in Eastport, Maine each year. Tybee looks great too. Key West? Key Largo? (ANYTHING to get out of Quebec!!!!)

I am imagining, however, going to these pirate gatherings alone and basically remamining that way for the duration. I'm guessing that you all have pirate friends going back for years .. one's who have seen you with more than a few tankards o' rhum in yer gullet. (BTW, it only takes me one drink to get drunk. I just can't remember if it is the 13th or 14th.)

I want pirate friends, I want pirate clothes, I want to do pirate things, and I want to go to pirate places.

Pls feel free to contact me with any and all advice and offers! :)

BIG JOHN

Ahoy Big John!

Being a fellow pirate on th' other side o' the coast, I feel yer frustration at a lack of Canadian piratical events!

I believe there are a couple o' good events in Halifax- I'd be lookin' there. O' course the Florida events are wonderful- but there is quite a bit, I be thinkin' along that eastern seaboard!

With yer size Matey, I'd say ye'd likely make a grand Blackbeard..if nothin else, a fair great swashbucklin' rogue! Welcome t' the pub, mon ami.

and ally? p'raps! PIRATE!

Again, welcome. There be much in the Pub t' keep ye amused, informed, and dare I say it...compelled.

And not to worry, Mate. I've made many a friendship here on the pub, and Facebook, and a couple o' other piratical message boards. Ye'll quickly find others ye know- t' meet up wi' ,sup with, and drink with at any event ye care t' attend.

Edited by Gunpowder Gertie
BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Well.. William.. Very direct. :unsure:

Hang on.. I know I posted all the Canadian stuff for someone else on here. I have very little time tonight bu if luck is on my side... Be Right back.

Now...

Most of my pirate connections from that corner of Canada come from my time around the Ontario renfest. The same group that was instrumental in OnRF has supported the creation of:

http://www.thepiratefestival.com/

If anyone can help you out it's the folks involved with this troupe.

http://www.fairesintime.com/

There are also a number of ren and medieval events in Ontario that you could check out. They aren't 'pirate' per say but they will have the same crowd's attending like:

http://www.royalmedievalfaire.org/

http://www.medievalfestival.ca/

http://www.medievalfayre.com/

You may want to also 'like'

http://www.facebook.com/OntarioRenaissanceFaireList

and see if there is a Quebec version. Again.. They aren't 'pirate' but they are similar vein when it comes to audience and attendance.

AND... Closer to you and still on the North Side of the Border is:

http://www.pirateadventures.ca/

Not a festival but again,.. Worth checking out..

So there you go. Hope it helps and gets you started on your own adventures.

Yours in time and adventure.

Charity Ann Rackham

Captain of the Jade Dragon

Admiral of the Rackham Fleet

British Columbia, Canada

FaceBook (Christina Carr AKA Charity Ann Rackham - as well as a Jade Dragon Pirates page)

Myspace (carrhunger is the personal one and Jadedragonpirates is the other)

BCRF page is: http://www.bcrenfest.com

Jade Dragon: http://www.jadedragonpirates.com

May our ships pass peacefully in the night. Note I say nothing of the day.

JDpyracy150.jpg

Ahoy and welcome to th' Pub, Big John! Glad t' have ye here with th' likes of us, carousing with rum in one hand and a pistol in th' other. :unsure:

Plenty of events around, near and far. Gertie knows more of where th' Canadian invasions be, so be keepin' a weather eye out for whatever she calls t' arms for. Yes, there is the big Pirate event in Key West, one coming up in a couple weeks there in Maryland, some events around the Great Lakes region as well, both historical pirate and fantasy pirate.

Take a look under the Craft or something like that. Even the Thieves Market... there are some pirates here who are right good (if not freakin' awesome) with the needle in making attire for ye, be they historical or fantasy. Oh, I could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on... well, you get the idea... of recommended places. But first before I can recommend, what is the look you want to go with? A more historicall accurate pirate look? Or more of these fantasy pirates with the non-historical, costume pirate look?

Hope t' cross paths someday. More than enough crews around to join if ye want to. Or ye can sail solo. Either way.

Again, welcome to th' Pub! B)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

OH.. And costume and your size..

http://www.dresslikeapirate.com

or if you like leather check out:

http://www.ravenswoodleather.com

http://www.museumreplicas.com

has had some great stuff before as larger sizes.

Hats?

http://captjackspiratehats.com/

Many of our blanks we buy and decorate ourselves from:

http://www.snoods.com/hats.html

She also does costume.

I got my leather hat from:

http://www.pyrate.org/

That was a long time ago and this baby is still in one piece no matter what I have put it through.

I know these are US companies but they have shipped to me on this side of the border just fine.

So.. Yeah.. Have fun, good luck and I really should hit the hay. This pirate brat has to get sleep. Paperwork in the morn, more edits and swrodfighting. So.. Yeah..

Later.

Charity Ann Rackham

British Columbia, Canada

FaceBook (Christina Carr AKA Charity Ann Rackham - as well as a Jade Dragon Pirates page)

JDpyracy150.jpg

Ahoy Beowullf -

For BGS (big guy sizes) check out Lady Brower Treasures or Ghost Forge. B)

M'lady Ashley manages to cover my... errrrr butt with slops and breeches.

Ghost Forge actually specializes in larger sizes

There is a place in Nova Scotia that is developing a period resort on the water. Their name excapes me at the moment but... who says Canadians can't have fun. :unsure:

Jas. Hook

Edited by Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I see you blokes have sailed tthe Seven Seas! I can tell I am going to like this place! What a treasure chest of resources! My bank account is quivvering!

God, I am tempted to make a last minute dash to PiP.... Has anyone put together a checklist of all the usefull things they've learned not to forget before they leave? ("Oh ya! I wish I had thought to bring....." or "thought to arrange for...")

Welcome aboard!

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome! I have been perusing the pages and see that you are far from an exclusive, snooty group.

A few questions (which, if I spent days and days sifting, I could probably find the answers to somewhere in these pages).

1) I've been looking at all the PC stuff. Heck! I just want to dress like a pirate and stay drunk for 10 days! (Ok... maybe I could have done that 30 years ago, but you get my drift, I think!) You all sound like you are SO industrious! What is a worthless rogue like me to do at, say, PiP? (I'm VERY good at giving advice!)

2) Looks like you bring a ****load of stuff along with you to gatherings (like PiP, which I have my eye on!). How do you transport all that stuff from home??? Do many of you come by plane? People talk of tents, cots, etc., etc., etc. I'd need to charter my own plane for all that stuff! I'm having trouble just imagining transporting the clothes by plane! (Hat?? Boots?? Cutlass?? Keep in mind that I am a huge man and my clothes are probably twice as big as some of you wee ones.....) Also, it must be hot there and people must sweat alot .... a different shirt for every day?

3) PiP .... Commercial lodgings? Beach? Fort? I HATE not being clean. Where do you wash? Shampoo? Brush your teeth? Comb your hair? Take care of "elimination needs"? I can guess that once the sun goes down, things really get fun. Like most places, the best stories probably come from the 11 PM to 3 AM time period! lol! Gee, I wonder why....laugh.gif Seems like the on site ppl would be privy to all the late nite shenanigans.

4) I see no evidence of ppl "bunking together" (except for everyone who was inviting the red haired grad student to share their hammock in 2008!). Maybe sharing hotel rooms are arranged privately between ppl who have already met and assured themselves that the other is not Charles Manson's brother.tongue.gif

5) While I wouldn't be showing up in a costume-store getup bought at say, Rubie's, I would probably be more flamboyantly dressed than most of the PC stuff I have seen. (No offense, but in the pics I have seen, PC clothes look kinda drab!) ohmy.gif I get the impression, though, that this place/group would even welcome the Key West Gay Men's Cross-Dressing Pirate's Chorus. (Ok, maybe not the pirates from the blue states.....)

I just hate the thought of spending all that money on the first year's trip to mainly discover what I SHOULD have done to have the best time!

6) Does it matter much when in the 10 days you show up? When does the "best" stuff happen? When is it most fun? Would going for December 3, 4, 5 be too short? (On second thought, if I am going to fly all that way - from Montreal - I should probably stay as long as possible, no?) Leaving the day after American Thanksgiving is not very likely ... gotta spend some time with the extended family in Maine.

Presuming upon your patience,

John

1) I've been looking at all the PC stuff. Heck! I just want to dress like a pirate and stay drunk for 10 days! (Ok... maybe I could have done that 30 years ago, but you get my drift, I think!) You all sound like you are SO industrious! What is a worthless rogue like me to do at, say, PiP? (I'm VERY good at giving advice!)

Have a blast. Just show up and they'll put you into training on cannon crew at the fort. Attend the Walk the plank party and go swimming in your clothes for sport. There's a parade you can strut your stuff in. So many things. PIP is not 'PC', or as we prefer to call it 'Historically Interpreted'. The activities at the fort and the volunteers there lean toward Historic Interpretation, but the overall festival has a broad standard.

2) Looks like you bring a ****load of stuff along with you to gatherings (like PiP, which I have my eye on!). How do you transport all that stuff from home??? Do many of you come by plane? People talk of tents, cots, etc., etc., etc. I'd need to charter my own plane for all that stuff! I'm having trouble just imagining transporting the clothes by plane! (Hat?? Boots?? Cutlass?? Keep in mind that I am a huge man and my clothes are probably twice as big as some of you wee ones.....) Also, it must be hot there and people must sweat alot .... a different shirt for every day?

I've managed to attend with a limited change of clothing, a tent and enough sundries (maps, weapons, etc) to travel by plane and still arrive well equipped. In some cases, we even provided tents for people traveling by plane.

3) PiP .... Commercial lodgings? Beach? Fort? I HATE not being clean. Where do you wash? Shampoo? Brush your teeth? Comb your hair? Take care of "elimination needs"? I can guess that once the sun goes down, things really get fun. Like most places, the best stories probably come from the 11 PM to 3 AM time period! lol! Gee, I wonder why....Posted Image Seems like the on site ppl would be privy to all the late nite shenanigans.

5) While I wouldn't be showing up in a costume-store getup bought at say, Rubie's, I would probably be more flamboyantly dressed than most of the PC stuff I have seen. (No offense, but in the pics I have seen, PC clothes look kinda drab!) Posted Image I get the impression, though, that this place/group would even welcome the Key West Gay Men's Cross-Dressing Pirate's Chorus. (Ok, maybe not the pirates from the blue states.....)

I just hate the thought of spending all that money on the first year's trip to mainly discover what I SHOULD have done to have the best time!

Arrive. You have to try hard not to have a good time. Chances are you'll find at least two groups or more that you can hang out with no matter what your tastes are.

6) Does it matter much when in the 10 days you show up? When does the "best" stuff happen? When is it most fun? Would going for December 3, 4, 5 be too short? (On second thought, if I am going to fly all that way - from Montreal - I should probably stay as long as possible, no?) Leaving the day after American Thanksgiving is not very likely ... gotta spend some time with the extended family in Maine.

I recommend you come early enough to catch walk the plank and stay long enough for the battles at the fort, so the longer the better. That said, I am generally there for the Fort Taylor Invasion before all else, which is toward the end. I have a limited amount of vacation and money, so I go to shoot cannons and clash swords.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I tried to post this earlier but it hick-upped on me so I walked away after coping the effort and voila! It's all back and working so.... I'm gonna paste this baby!!

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome! I have been perusing the pages and see that you are far from an exclusive, snooty group.

Why thank you. There are always a few but if you plunge into pirate mode they disappear in your brain... After all... Brethren and such...

A few questions ....

1) I've been looking at all the PC stuff. Heck! I just want to dress like a pirate and stay drunk for 10 days! ... You all sound like you are SO industrious! What is a worthless rogue like me to do at, say, PiP? (I'm VERY good at giving advice!)

You become industrious in time. Don't let the confidence fool you. Most folks take some time to settle into it and find their niche. What would you do at an event? Dress like a pirate and stay drunk for 10 days. There's a whole rang of pirate enthusiasts. Some more PC then others. Just hang out for a few days and get the flow and then, if you get the chance, go back and go a step further. Do get ahold of the folks who run the Ontario Fest. They are close enough to you and would happily talk to you about such things.

2) Looks like you bring a ****load of stuff along with you to gatherings (like PiP, which I have my eye on!). How do you transport all that stuff from home??? Do many of you come by plane? ...'m having trouble just imagining transporting the clothes by plane! ... Keep in mind that I am a huge man and my clothes are probably twice as big as some of you wee ones.....) Also, it must be hot there and people must sweat alot .... a different shirt for every day?

My clothing goes into a Jeep brand suitcase. My hat first (with underwear and such showed into it) and the rest gets packed around. I use my boots to transport a bottle or two of port, wine or something that can't be gotten at my destination for the host or organiser or friends. It also leave space to bring something back. I then pack my gun(s) and sword(s) in a guitar case that is just under the maximum size for the airline I am traveling on. I carry in my wallet a photo of the whole thing and slide another picture in the tag on the guitar case, behind my ID and put a note on the ID that it is there, if they want to know. I also put the unlockable by security locks on the thing so they don't feel as if I am hiding anything and voila! no biggie. If the handlers do steal I have the picture that matches the photo in the tag. Driving over the border... Same packing, just make sure any thing that can be seen as a weapon is packed in the car out of reach. Never had problems there either. Hot? Yup! Silk and Linen are the best fabrics to survive the heat. Our outfits are silk and that's why we can swing a sword in a performance and not die. I am rethinking the leather, though and am considering a 'Summer' outfit for Charity and Cobbs. I know.. So particular. ;-) Silks (real not fake) are pricey but breath well and are anti bacterial so you can get away with not having to wash in between days. The shirt, that is.. But if you don't care to be PC then just go ahead.. You wouldn't be the first pirate to wear through a shirt during one event. :rolleyes: I don't camp if I don't have 2 spare days for set up and teardown as I feel that setting up and tearing down is just going to take away my fun and work times, so I don't have to worry about any of that. If I want to hang at someone else's camp I will... Then just stumble off.

3) PiP .... Commercial lodgings? ... I HATE not being clean. ... I can guess that once the sun goes down, things really get fun. .. from the 11 PM to 3 AM time period! lol! Gee, I wonder why.... Seems like the on site ppl would be privy to all the late nite shenanigans. 4) I see no evidence of ppl "bunking together" .... Maybe sharing hotel rooms are arranged privately between ppl who have already met and assured themselves that the other is not Charles Manson's brother.

I've always stayed in a hotel/motel/B&B as close as I can to the event location. Problem with PIP is that books up fast. I have friends in Florida but the travel cost and time away is killer to be able to obligate in enough time and the hotels/motels sell out fast. My friends, in this case, are not next door so it is quite the drive each day, thus I have not made it yet. BUT in your case, many times folks book a hotel room or a motel/B&B spot with the plans of finding someone to share with. Best to do is, once you decide your really gonna go, is post and see who bites. Post on here, post on other boards (even send an email to PIP and ask them if they know of boards or see if they have one). Be honest. Be wiling to send them at least half of the money that is your portion as a show of good faith. You'd be surprised. I also try to check on the locals who will be at the event and see if anyone is willing to be your driver. Offer some gas money and ask this after you have found your bunk location. You want to try to team with someone close to where you are staying. Usually, as you make friends during the day and find your 'lot', they will invite you to hang around. The trick though is the ride... When are they leaving? But then again... You get them invited to hang out of go to a party they normally would not get to, they may just say 'YES' with no hesitation. Don't know until you poke. So the first year you may not get to say yes to it all but it will give you a feel to decide if it is worth coming back to.

5) While I wouldn't be showing up in a costume-store getup...would probably be more flamboyantly dressed than most of the PC stuff I have seen..... I get the impression, though, that this place/group would even welcome the Key West Gay Men's Cross-Dressing Pirate's Chorus. (Ok, maybe not the pirates from the blue states.....)

Yeah.. We would... My outfit is designed for me to do what I do (swing a sword) and the character was created for a 1500s storyline. Only over the last year are we adding to the outfits to suit the 1700s. You wear what makes you happy and you stay legal. Not necessarily PC but legal. There are plenty of examples. Hit FaceBook and take a peek around... Hell.. Hit my FaceBook (ID carrhunger) and look through my friends list. Let the world around you inspire you and find what you like. There are no shortages of commercial patterns too. If you have a friend that sews you could get an outfit made that packs down tight and fits you and makes YOU happy within a budget. It may cost you a bottle of wine or rum, or if they like a night of drinking beer in a good pub (no shortage of those in Montreal).. Hell.. Find he schools that teach costuming and ask them if they want a challenge for their finals. You may get a free labour outfit out of the deal and be featured in some bright eyed kid's portfolio.

Sometimes It's a shot in the dark for the first one. I hate it too but I do it... Some I'm hoping to save up to go again and some... Lesson learned...

6) Does it matter much when in the 10 days you show up? ... if I am going to fly all that way - from Montreal - I should probably stay as long as possible, no?) ...

Can't answer half of that as I have not been yet but the second.. As long as possible is good. I wish I could have been in New Orleans longer but now I know what to expect next time. Maybe something closer would suit you for this year.

John

Patience presumed and patience given.

Later, Christina

AKA Captain Charity Ann Rackham

Charity Ann Rackham

British Columbia, Canada

JDpyracy150.jpg

Beowoulf...

Do not fret too much about screwing up on your outfit. You really can't. However, you CAN change it and shake up your outfit and persona whenever you want. :o So... spend what you want or able to spend on what you need at least. And that's breeches, a shirt, a pair of shoes (cheap ones so you don't freak out over a ruined pair of $100+ shoes), and a hat (cheap one like wool felt or straw), plus a haversack. Toss in a waistcoat if ye fancy or borrow from someone a waistcoat and ye be set for starting off your pirate impersonation. :) You can ALWAYS change your appearance. Your outfit is NEVER set in stone. NEVER! But you cannot go wrong with the breeches or slops, shirt, shoes, hat and haversack.

Do not hesitate to ask about for help on where to shop from either. There are some on here who are masters of the needle and thread, too.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Aye- and, where ever ye go, there'll be vendors who have more and more accoutrements for your costume/garb and yer character too!

Lady B is right- as long as ye have the basics- why then ye're ready t' add t' yer character, as it evolves!

Ye don't necessarily want t' show up full blown, and then discover some o' yer stuff doesn't actually fit the character what be developin'!

Especially if ye haven't yet decided on yer plan o' attack- be it period correct, Hollywood - er whatever.

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Aye, 't'is so sad .... lonely pirates in far flung places 'n' I can not find enough freebooters fer a small crew here in middle-Canada though thar be ships ripe for plunder .... :o

Welcome aboard Beowoulf

Captain of Enterprise out of Rheault Bay

A few questions (which, if I spent days and days sifting, I could probably find the answers to somewhere in these pages).

3) PiP .... Commercial lodgings? Beach? Fort? I HATE not being clean. Where do you wash? Shampoo? Brush your teeth? Comb your hair? Take care of "elimination needs"? I can guess that once the sun goes down, things really get fun. Like most places, the best stories probably come from the 11 PM to 3 AM time period! lol! Gee, I wonder why....laugh.gif Seems like the on site ppl would be privy to all the late nite shenanigans.

4) I see no evidence of ppl "bunking together" (except for everyone who was inviting the red haired grad student to share their hammock in 2008!). Maybe sharing hotel rooms are arranged privately between ppl who have already met and assured themselves that the other is not Charles Manson's brother.tongue.gif

5) While I wouldn't be showing up in a costume-store getup bought at say, Rubie's, I would probably be more flamboyantly dressed than most of the PC stuff I have seen. (No offense, but in the pics I have seen, PC clothes look kinda drab!) ohmy.gif I get the impression, though, that this place/group would even welcome the Key West Gay Men's Cross-Dressing Pirate's Chorus. (Ok, maybe not the pirates from the blue states.....)

John

Ahoy there, sir!

As for the costume, the Pyrate Fest at the fort attempts to be fairly PC but all the pirates who aren't camping there have much wider interpretations of what a pirate is. Pirates in Paradise is not a PC event - it is all inclusive, from the historical to the hysterical.

In addition to the fort activities this year, there is additional pirating to be done at the Pirate Village and Thieve's Market, which is adjacent to the park area. That's where all the stage entertainment is, the pirate's pub, the Schooner WOLF, vendors, food and activities. It's a short hop by car away from the fort, about three minutes. So when you get bored at one you can hop to the other.

Our entire crewe is not PC, so feel free to hang with us if you feel out of place at any time. We always feel out of place. :)

The Doubletree is the official pirate port. They are offering special room rates under the Conch Republic Navy.

The website is: http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/EYWDTDT-Doubletree-Grand-Key-Resort-Florida/index.do

Use the code CRN. That gets you $109 a room plus tax. They have a free shuttle into town for drinkin. It works on the website.... One of my crew just booked through it. It's a good rate unless you want a dive hotel there. I think breakfast is included.

If you have limited time, I suggest you fly in Wednesday. The bulk of the activities are Thursday through Sunday. For a complete schedule go here: http://www.piratesinparadise.com.

If you have any questions about the Pirates in Paradise festival, email me at hurricane@piratesofthecoast.com. I'm working with Julie on all the events. I will be down there from Monday through Sunday.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com