Ships Manifests?

jendobyns

Has anyone here found any good links for sites with ship's manifests that list the cargo, not just the people, on ships that were captured or at least shipping goods during the GaoP? I'm looking for primary source material for researching a program I'd like to work on for events. And while I know there were things besides gold, gems, silks and spices on those ships, it would be nice to see them listed.

So far all I'm finding is genaeology oriented web sites, which hasn't helped much.

Mistress Dobyns

I don't have my files in front of me but here are some common ones from virginia. fabric, animal hides/pelts, wood, pinetar, negroes, corn, wheat, iron ore, tobacco. imports- iron goods, china, sugar, molasses, furniture, household goods, etc...

Has anyone here found any good links for sites with ship's manifests that list the cargo, not just the people, on ships that were captured or at least shipping goods during the GaoP? I'm looking for primary source material for researching a program I'd like to work on for events. And while I know there were things besides gold, gems, silks and spices on those ships, it would be nice to see them listed.

So far all I'm finding is genaeology oriented web sites, which hasn't helped much.

Mistress Dobyns

On the fourth of July eighteen hundred and six

We set sail from the sweet cove of Cork

We were sailing away with a cargo of bricks

For the grand city hall in New York

'Twas a wonderful craft, she was rigged fore-and-aft

And oh, how the wild winds drove her.

She'd got several blasts, she'd twenty-seven masts

And we called her the Irish Rover.

We had one million bales of the best Sligo rags

We had two million barrels of stones

We had three million sides of old blind horses hides,

We had four million barrels of bones.

We had five million hogs, we had six million dogs,

Seven million barrels of porter.

We had eight million bails of old nanny goats' tails,

In the hold of the Irish Rover.

I couldn't resist.

Calico Jack Rackham mainly pirated fishing ships, at least in 1720. He is remembered more for his flag, his wardrobe and his crew than his successes. This is probably more typical plunder than galleons full of gold.

Mark

Edited by MarkG

Are you looking for ships engaged in any particular trade or region?

Almost everything was transported by sea at some point or another, from bullion, silks and spices to timber and coal, and the common cargoes varied extensively depending on where the vessel was sailing to and from.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

If one had a tractor trailer available, how cool would it be to literally bring all the stuff that would fit into a ships hold? Bales of cotton, barrels of molasses, logwood plus all the spars, masts, rigging and ropes, to show this off to patrons!

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

Are you looking for ships engaged in any particular trade or region?

Almost everything was transported by sea at some point or another, from bullion, silks and spices to timber and coal, and the common cargoes varied extensively depending on where the vessel was sailing to and from.

I'm looking primarily for ships leaving from the areas ten degrees north or south of the equator, in the new world, which would have been carrying cocoa beans, roasted nibs or perhaps even chocolate that had been processed into cakes (although that last is unlikely). I'd like to see how the stuff was transported from it's point of origin to Europe and the colonies and what form it was in when that was done. I have some information that indicates it was transported as beans to be roasted and ground at it's destination, but no paperwork showing it as ship's cargo. It would be nice to demonstrate Ship X listing so many bags, barrels or crates of cocoa beans for a specific voyage.

While ships bearing cocoa are my specific target, any listings of cargo are always welcome. I love primary sources! It's how one finds olives being imported in Philadelphia, or worsted tape coming from Europe.

Man, you just come up with the best stuff! Thanks! I could get lost in those documents for hours!

Looks like a tierce is a type of cask, according to this definition: A cask whose content is one third of a pipe; that is, forty-two wine gallons; also, a liquid measure of forty-two wine, or thirty-five imperial, gallons. 2. A cask larger than a barrel, and smaller than a hogshead or a puncheon, in which salt provisions, rice, etc, are packed for shipment.

There were some listed in that Gutenburg Project on-line book on Pirates and Privateers I posted sometime back. I'm no good at finding and posting those links, maybe soembody who's good at it will come to the rescue?

OK, so it wasn't that hard: ;)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24882

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

There were some listed in that Gutenburg Project on-line book on Pirates and Privateers I posted sometime back. I'm no good at finding and posting those links, maybe soembody who's good at it will come to the rescue?

OK, so it wasn't that hard: ;)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24882

Bo

Awesome! Glad you found it. Thanks!

Man, you just come up with the best stuff! Thanks! I could get lost in those documents for hours!

Looks like a tierce is a type of cask, according to this definition: A cask whose content is one third of a pipe; that is, forty-two wine gallons; also, a liquid measure of forty-two wine, or thirty-five imperial, gallons. 2. A cask larger than a barrel, and smaller than a hogshead or a puncheon, in which salt provisions, rice, etc, are packed for shipment.

From the OED online (I love my library service, with my card number they let me access stuff like the OED Times Online and loads of other stuff at home for free =o)

4. An old measure of capacity equivalent to one third of a pipe (usually 42 gallons old wine measure, but varying for different commodities: cf. PIPEn.2 2); also a cask or vessel holding this quantity, usually of wine, but also of various kinds of provisions or other goods (e.g. beef, pork, salmon, coffee, honey, sugar, tallow, tobacco); also such a cask with its contents. 1531 Charterparty in R. G. Marsden Sel. Pl. Crt. Admir. 36 Accounttyng..ij pipes for a ton iiij hoggeshedds for a ton and vj tercys for a ton. 1531-2 Act 23 Hen. VIII, c. 7 §5 The butte, tonne, pype..teers, barrell or rondlett. 1538 ELYOT Addit., Hemicadia, vesselles callyd a tierce, halfe a hoggesheed. 1588 Wills & Inv. N.C. (Surtees) II. 180, ix tearces of honeye, at 16l. per tonne, 24l. 1707 Lond. Gaz. No. 4337/4 On Wednesday..will be exposed to Sale..about 400 Hogsheads and 10 Tierces of..French Claret. 1800 COLQUHOUN Comm. Thames iii. 136 Beef and Pork..contained in..Tierces and Barrels. 1825 Gentl. Mag. XCV. I. 216 [Coffee berries] closely packed in tierces for exportation. <A name=50252595q26>1886 Pall Mall G. 19 June 6/1 The tobacco..comes from abroad..in hogsheads..in what are called tierces (a smaller wooden barrel), and in bales.

Edited by Grymm

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

From the OED online (I love my library service, with my card number they let me access stuff like the OED Times Online and loads of other stuff at home for free =o)

4. An old measure of capacity equivalent to one third of a pipe (usually 42 gallons old wine measure, but varying for different commodities: cf. PIPEn.2 2); also a cask or vessel holding this quantity, usually of wine, but also of various kinds of provisions or other goods (e.g. beef, pork, salmon, coffee, honey, sugar, tallow, tobacco); also such a cask with its contents. 1531 Charterparty in R. G. Marsden Sel. Pl. Crt. Admir. 36 Accounttyng..ij pipes for a ton iiij hoggeshedds for a ton and vj tercys for a ton. 1531-2 Act 23 Hen. VIII, c. 7 §5 The butte, tonne, pype..teers, barrell or rondlett. 1538 ELYOT Addit., Hemicadia, vesselles callyd a tierce, halfe a hoggesheed. 1588 Wills & Inv. N.C. (Surtees) II. 180, ix tearces of honeye, at 16l. per tonne, 24l. 1707 Lond. Gaz. No. 4337/4 On Wednesday..will be exposed to Sale..about 400 Hogsheads and 10 Tierces of..French Claret. 1800 COLQUHOUN Comm. Thames iii. 136 Beef and Pork..contained in..Tierces and Barrels. 1825 Gentl. Mag. XCV. I. 216 [Coffee berries] closely packed in tierces for exportation. <A name=50252595q26>1886 Pall Mall G. 19 June 6/1 The tobacco..comes from abroad..in hogsheads..in what are called tierces (a smaller wooden barrel), and in bales.

Well that's useful! Thanks! The OED was my first choice, but I don't have access like you do. Need to fix that!

Interesting to see that the volume measured can vary depending on the commodity.