Looking for Steamer Trunks or Their Like

As many of ya know, I own & manage a stage show group for Renaissance Faires. As such, I am attempting to find a suitable steamer trunk or a trunk of similar ilk to stash all of our props and such in.

I have searched Ebay and found some hopefuls but nothing very serious. I was wondering if you lot knew of a better place to go to find a trunk that will fit the bill (and the budget) and that I won't up and die over if it gets demolished during use.

Thanks ever so much,

Cap'n Emerald

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

Now, it might do for looks, but not accuracy, but I recall seeing wicker chests at Hobby Lobby. Why they were at Hobby Lobby, I'll never know.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Local junk shops - stay away from the "antique" stores - they prize them way too much. Go to the antique malls where multiple merchants have stalls. There is always a good supply of them around - just need patience. I located my in a similar place in Seattle for $60 and it was in perfect condition with event the two drawers inside intact. So the deals are around...

The problem with ebay isn't the quality - it's the shipping. These things aren't light and the shipping will kill you even on a deal there. Go local or regional...

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Try Walmart, Kmart, Target for a steamer trunk that reasonably priced. If you are looking for a more period type, check antique stores - but I warn you they will be at least 3 to 5 hundred dollars depending on condition.

Also, there are places like Home Depot, Dixie Lumber, and others,that sell kids wooden toy boxes (kits) you can put together, stain and put whatever hardware you want on it (big black gate componets were used on the toy box my friend built and drags to events, it looks really good, strong, people can sit on it. He even put a locking mechanism on the lid so it will stay up when getting stuff out, he also put wheels on it so it could be rolled along easily).

Rumba Rue

**Creativity is my game** :ph34r: