Question from patron

captscurvy_nc

So I was performing my fire breathing act in pirate garb last week and I had a patron ask me what type of liquid a pirate could have used in the 18th century to breath fire? I told him what I use, which is clear refined lamp oil (close to 99% parafin) but wasn't sure what to tell him in regards to historical accuracy. I doubt fire breathing was a regualr hobby amongst pirates but I do know it was around as a form of entertainment during the GAOP. ANy thoughts as to what someone would have used besides high content spirits?

So I was performing my fire breathing act in pirate garb last week and I had a patron ask me what type of liquid a pirate could have used in the 18th century to breath fire? I told him what I use, which is clear refined lamp oil (close to 99% parafin) but wasn't sure what to tell him in regards to historical accuracy. I doubt fire breathing was a regualr hobby amongst pirates but I do know it was around as a form of entertainment during the GAOP. ANy thoughts as to what someone would have used besides high content spirits?

Period lamp oil would probably have been something organic like olive oil. It would probably work.

Whale oil probably would not work. It doesn't burn well. You can tell original whale oil lamps because the had two wicks in order to increase the brightness.

Mark