Question on button placement

captscurvy_nc

So I was working on a new coat and didn't realize until it was too late that I had placed the buttons on the right side instead of the left. Not a huge deal but it got me to thinking what started the standard of men's jacket buttons being placed on a particular side? Just curious if anyone knows.

I vaguely remember a discussion about this from a year or so ago... And while I am not 100% certain, I think through the discussion and showing of the samples, it was found the majority of the time button placement was the same as what it is modernly, but a sample(s?) were found with the reverse, so I think you should be okay.

I'll try and do a search for the old discussion and link it here if I find it.

Edit - And I found it!

Link to previous discussion

Michael_banner.jpg

I did the trick with the leather cord holding the buttons on the back, instead of sewing them on... This allowed me to create a reversible weskit, by just untying the cord and moving buttons to the other side of the vest - This reverses the button placement from right to left side when it's flipped inside out. so I was kinda wondering the same thing.

learned this from an aquaintance in civil war re-enacting who had a reversible frock coat so he could "galvanize" his artillery at will ...

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Here is an interesting answer I found on Wikipedia -

"The custom that a man's coat should button "left side over right", anecdotally originates in the use of the sword, where such cut avoided catching the top of the weapon in the opening of the cloth (since the sword was usually drawn right-handed). Women's suits are buttoned "right side over left". A similar anecdotal story to explain this is that women were dressed by maids, and so the buttons were arranged for the convenience of their, typically, right-handed servants; men on the other hand dressed themselves and so the buttons were positioned to simplify that task."

Seems to make some logical sense.

Here is an interesting answer I found on Wikipedia -

"The custom that a man's coat should button "left side over right", anecdotally originates in the use of the sword, where such cut avoided catching the top of the weapon in the opening of the cloth (since the sword was usually drawn right-handed). Women's suits are buttoned "right side over left". A similar anecdotal story to explain this is that women were dressed by maids, and so the buttons were arranged for the convenience of their, typically, right-handed servants; men on the other hand dressed themselves and so the buttons were positioned to simplify that task."

Seems to make some logical sense.

I'm skeptical about the sword explanation. Through a lot of history, most people were not allowed to wear swords. When they were, they wore them at the hip where is wasn't likely to catch, anyway.

I always heard the men dressing themselves/women being dressed explanation. It is more reasonable. A lot of women's styles through the ages need help getting into.

Mark