Sample Queen Anne

Matty Bottles

Okay, GoF makes a pretty compelling argument for how messed up the pedersoli queen anne is. He does it so well, I'll let him do it.

But one thing in particular stuck with me: he asked what the heck pedersoli thought they were copying. Well, I found the profile:

2087a.jpg

Or view it here or here.

Yes, this is a screw-off barrel, while the pedersoli is not, but this one has less of that streamlined cannon-barrel style and more of that what-is-that-does-that-pistol-have-a-goiter-on-its-neck style. Yeah, that's it. It still won't make those non-screw-off, no-ramrod pedersoli queen anne's 100%. And you probably already know this. I've been away for a while, so this is probably old news. But there it is.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Aye, true enough.......... However if Pedersoli made the Queen Anne pistol as an actual turn-off piece, it would add quite a bit to the price. For our purposes, which is mostly firing blank loads, a turn-off barrel really serves no purpose. The Pedersoli piece is still considerably better than what comes out of India as to quality and reliability right out of the box. I have always thought of it as a great entry-level pistol.

>>>>> Cascabel

I just picked up a brass barrel Queen Anne, new in the box, on GunBroker for $285. I was a little curious as to accuracy for our period but it's definitely a lot closer than the other pistols that I have. I also was wondering if anybody knows where to purchase (or does anybody have for sale) a belt hook to fit the side plate of the Pedersoli?

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Aye, Cascabel, I don't mean to disparage the Queen Anne. Rather, I post this as an example of how the Queen Anne is closer to a period piece than might have been previously thought.

Iron Jon, as far as belt hooks go, there is a brass one available here. There's a steel one, too. Needs to be drilled and polished.

Edited by Matty Bottles

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Aye, true enough.......... However if Pedersoli made the Queen Anne pistol as an actual turn-off piece, it would add quite a bit to the price. For our purposes, which is mostly firing blank loads, a turn-off barrel really serves no purpose. The Pedersoli piece is still considerably better than what comes out of India as to quality and reliability right out of the box. I have always thought of it as a great entry-level pistol.

>>>>> Cascabel

Most people who want to fire a ball are going to want a different pistol anyway - something longer and possibly rifled - so making it as a screw-on barrel would just add to the expense without adding anything. After all, you can't tell by looking at it that the barrel doesn't screw off. The few people who do want to fire one can carry a separate rammer.

I got one for my wife a couple of years ago. The kit makes a nice-looking pistol that goes together easily.

Mark

Iron Jon, as far as belt hooks go, there is a brass one available here. There's a steel one, too. Needs to be drilled and polished.

Thank you sir. I just ordered one of each!

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

>>>>> Cascabel

Most people who want to fire a ball are going to want a different pistol anyway - something longer and possibly rifled - so making it as a screw-on barrel would just add to the expense without adding anything. After all, you can't tell by looking at it that the barrel doesn't screw off. The few people who do want to fire one can carry a separate rammer.

Mark

yes...but i where period "drawers" while in Kit as well...not that anyone may see those either... ;)

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Thank God!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

>>>>> Cascabel

Mark

yes...but i where period "drawers" while in Kit as well...not that anyone may see those either... :blink:

Too much information.

I heard rumors that you wear a period chemise under your kit, not drawers.

2394646230046605860VJpcBI_th.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

I heard rumors that you wear a period chemise under your kit, not drawers.

2394646230046605860VJpcBI_th.jpg

yes well i.... :blink: ...well back to the point...ehem.....tho most of us "cheat" with our kit in some fashion or another...i for one wear contacts instead of period glasses....there are other aspects that the public never really get close enough to see....but we still keep it period correct.....i could see the definate advantages of having a genuine screw off barrell and i can see the market for such a queen anne...tho most would not be able to see the difference upon the battle field....the owner of such would know the difference...and that for me..would make all the difference

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Unfortunately, the only screw-off barrel version available other than an original is a $450 kit from Britain. Another $300 to have a qualified gunsmith put it together prices it right out of my hands just now. That's why I'm relieved to see that the Pedersoli isn't SO wrong.

Edited by Matty Bottles

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

That's why I'm relieved to see that the Pedersoli isn't SO wrong.

I agree.

Out of the 3 "period type" pistols I have I believe that this one is the closest to appearing correct, even though it doesn't have a screw off barrel. That doesn't mean I won't bring the Kentucky and the heavy Dragoon pistols out to shoot, but, I will carry the Queen Anne more often as I try to get my kit closer to PC. Both of my muskets are later type Brown Bess reproductions and I still shoot them for now until I can replace them with something closer to PC.

If I go somewhere where they require an exact replica of an 1680-1720 weapon I guess I'll have to sit on the sidelines until the battle is over!

Jonathan Washbourne

If I go somewhere where they require an exact replica of an 1680-1720 weapon I guess I'll have to sit on the sidelines until the battle is over!

You and a lot of other good people! Shoot, my boxed set is the 1733 pattern.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Hmm...

Agreed... I'm with William on this...

We'll share them...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Unfortunately, the only screw-off barrel version available other than an original is a $450 kit from Britain. Another $300 to have a qualified gunsmith put it together prices it right out of my hands just now.

I have 2 of these kits arriving this week but i am trading a load of charts to a guy who is going to build them for me.

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

Hey, how was the exchange rate? For a while it was just murder.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Got the belt hooks and installed one today - it's a bit smaller than I thought it would be.

4929925929_4f4335e530_m.jpg

4929924383_bc07e15f53_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

Well, then it must have been pretty good, I imagine. :P Iron John, I don't think those look too small - they look just right to me for a Queen Anne. How did you attach them? They don't look screwed on. Do they keep the pistol in your belt?

Edited by Matty Bottles

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I cut a rectangular slot through the original side plate then ground and filed that big tab on the back of the hook down quite a bit to fit it. Then I drilled and tapped the tab and screwed it on from the hidden side.

4930512314_8e11c7ab34_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

That's awesome, dude.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum