brass bucket repair

You shoulda brought it with you yesterday (unless you picked it up on yer way home)and I coulda done it then. To answer your question though, either brazed or soldered would be sufficient. Ever haerd of "a Tinker's dam"? That would be the sledge used to back the soldering of a travelling Tinkers' repair, which was then discarded, hence the phrase: "Not worth a Tinker's dam." Just thought I'd throw in a bit of a history lesson for ya'll too.

Bo

here's a pic... and bo, i made good enough time going home that i was able to stop at an antique mall and found it... the tag says brass, but it very well may be copper... it looks like it is about 2 gallons...

misc015.jpg

there are 3 splits, this high lights the longest one..about 5 inches long, the other two are about an inch long

just picked up a brass bucket that has some splits in it...about 4 inches is the longest one...

i know there is a way to fix it, but how ?? brazing (sp?) comes to mind, but wanna hear from someone who knows for sure...

I'd go with lead-free plumbing soldier. Unless you are really good at brazing you are likely to burn through the thin brass. Also, I'd apply it from the inside. As long as you have something liquid in it, it shouldn't get hot enough on the inside to melt the soldier.

Mark