Tent Project

My cousin has quit the painting business and brought me a ton of painters canvas in varying sizes. Most of it is in good shape with no paint spills and I plan on working on a new tent set up since I can't think of anything else to do with all of it. Going to treat it this weekend to "hopefully" waterproof it. Anyone have more luck with one product over another when it comes to treating canvas?

This topic from the Pirates In Paradise section is an oldie, but a great one...

There are all kinds of suggestions for shape, design and treatment of a home made tent! It is long, and veers on quite a few tangents, but is more than well worth the read! Heck I have no use for another tent, and I reread the topic yesterday just for the enjoyment of it.

Specifically on topic, is this post, where Patrick Hand comments on the additional weight treating canvas does. The previous post where I post a link to some period recipes for canvas treatment has a dead link, which is a real shame, as I recall that web page (which is no longer active) has some really cool information on it.

Michael_banner.jpg

There are all kinds of suggestions for shape, design and treatment of a home made tent! It is long, and veers on quite a few tangents, but is more than well worth the read! Heck I have no use for another tent, and I reread the topic yesterday just for the enjoyment of it.

Specifically on topic, is this post, where Patrick Hand comments on the additional weight treating canvas does. The previous post where I post a link to some period recipes for canvas treatment has a dead link, which is a real shame, as I recall that web page (which is no longer active) has some really cool information on it.

sorry double post. 10yrs ago i made a fly from lowes heavy duty painter's tarp, after it was made sprayed it with a couple of coats of thompson's and that was it. last year i got caught in a downpour that lasted all day. it works.

Well I don't have painters canvas but 10oz canvas duck. I would think the weave of painter tarps are looser. you can try this. Wash the tarps in hot water and dry hot. This should help to shrink the weave a little.

Try it on one of them and then take it outside test it. Spray it with a water hose and see if she soaks through. Mine is completely untreated and is water tight. Well I will get drips through but that can be solved by running your finger to "train" the water were to go.

• 3 months later...

I bought a 100 yards of 10oz duck canvas last summer, made a 30' x 20' rain canopy and am working on some viking tents (finishing them after the pirate ship is build)

Anyways what I was getting at is the canvas is only resistant depending on the slope of the canopy. If water has time to accumulate even shrunken and pre-soaked 10 oz canvas water will soak and drip through.

When I changed the slope of my canopy to 12' to 8' and double secured the poles to keep the canvas taut, this untreated canvas shed the water beautifully without bleeding through.

Depending on what you are building and how it is built you may not need to treat it.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Now there's many a day on the Spanish Main, But none I hold so dear

As the happy day I first became, A scurvy buccaneer.

Blundering Buccaneer